Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a beautiful overhead light and fan which is connected

Customer Question

I have a beautiful overhead light and fan which is connected to a remote control switch. This connection was made by a subcontractor electrician when I first built my house about 10 or 12 years ago. Nothing was explained or demonstrated to me concerning any possible trouble-making issues down the road of the remote and light/fan functioning together.

Because the remote control switch to the light and fan has been dropped on the floor, it is no longer operating. I would not mind that. except I cannot get the overhead light or fan to come on at the wall switch.

Apparently, the light and fan wall switch were programmed to operate with the remote control as the lst or main point of control for getting the light or fan to turn on.

Can you advise me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.

Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.Dale seems like you have a situation on your hands..That being a older fan unit..The best option at this point for you would be to bring the existing remote over to Home Depot..Lowes Etc. Have them take a look at it to see if one of there many universal remotes will work for your fan ..The universal remotes are very basic ,most will run even on the older units..Also from what you are explaining it is possible you might have a problem with the power going to the unit..The wall Switch etc...You can check this by first going to the breaker panel in the home..Reset the breaker ...If not the case more than likely you will need to call a electrician and have them check power to the wall switch..As the fan should operate by the switch itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel certain that the wall switch is functioning properly, if I could isolate it from the remote contro. It has been used very little. The remote control has been used exclusively for years to turn the light or fan on and off.

If I could find a way to disconnect the remote control completely away from the wall switch, that would be fine with me. I do not mind turning the light or fan on and off at the wall switch.

Trying to get the remote control operable to me is not really my goal at this point. My goal is to be able to turn my light and fan on and off. Without them on, this particular room space is without light. It is also without air circulation via the fan.

That is the problem unfortunately The module in the fan itself is what controls power through the fan motor Etc.by way of the remote..it is like having power disconnected at the fan itself..This means there is no power going back to the wall switch.I think your only option is to either purchase a universal remote or replace the fan itself..That is if you have verified power to the wall switch.