Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have a GE microwave model # XXXXX My cleaning ladies

I have a GE microwave model # XXXXX My cleaning ladies probably used a liquid on it to clean it and it doesn't heat anymore. I tried to disconnect for an entire evening with no better results. I even ran a hair-dryer over the top of the module again to no effect. The clock can be set; the turntable runs but the microwave won't heat anything. Question: can you help me or should I invest in a new one? Also: is a 1.7 cu. ft. micro the correct replacement? I guess using model numbers starting in the 1700's, ie. model # XXXXX? Tom
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

The problem here is either going to be the magnetron, High voltage capacitor, High voltage diode or the door switch. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $299 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)

Please feel free to come back after rating me "ok service or above" or for any additional questions or assistance that may be needed.

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service or above" so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That news was discouraging, Mike! $30 to find out that you need a new microwave (NOT your fault, of course!) My GE model WAS # JVM1870CF02 built in 2004. Question: should I buy a model in the 1700's like JVM 1740.... even though my old model is in the 1800's, ie; 1870...? Should I replace THIS GE with ANOTHER GE to continue to coordinate with the other GE Profile appliances or should that matter? Tom

I'm sorry for the bad news but unfortunately microwaves these days are expensive to repair, I guess the manufacturers would rather you throw them away. Yes I would stick with GE they are a fairly reliable make as much as any other Just a tad more expensive to buy and repair.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife and I visited Best Buy (A bunch of inexperienced kids!), Costco, JP Richards (again kids!), and finally Home Depot where I found a similar model to my present microwave for $279 (1.7 cu. ft.) by GE. I might have a SMALL problem since the new one might be one inch too high. We MAY have to cut the back-splash one inch, but that model comes closest to my present one. The Home Depot salesman was SOOOOO... more intelligent and answered all of our questions! Again, I would love to wake up tomorrow and the old one is dried and re-couped but I doubt it. Tom

Thanks for the update Tom.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just BOUGHT a GE Model # 1750. They'll deliver, install, and cut the tile to make a fit for the 16 1/2 inch height all for a price, of course. Thanks for directing me to buy a new microwave! Tom

Your welcome