Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My GE refrigerator/freezer model no. PSS26NGPA WW serial no.

Customer Question

My GE refrigerator/freezer model no. PSS26NGPA WW serial no. TF 420965
stoped cooling and freezing. It feels like it is blowing warm air ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frosty spots inside

freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent

compressor is not hot or cold it is room temperature and it is not vibrating

I have not heard buzz or click from back there

back fan is working

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tom,

Feel of the lower rear inside wall of the freezer. Is that area cold at all?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

warm

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If the compressor is not vibrating or clicking its not getting power. The main control board is bad. You can try unplugging it for 5 minutes and see if the main control board will reset. If the control does not change you will need to replace that board. Sometimes if you know someone who has a soldering pen they can resolder the larger joints on that circuit board, this sometimes works. If it does no you will need to replace the main control board. The board under the panel at the rear of the refrigerator is bad and needs to be replaced. All of the voltage and that makes the refrigereator work its all controlled right there on the main board. I have arrowed the part in the diagram below.

One place that has it online is just below.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?RCAID=1000064

To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part to step 2 only. All of the other steps are for other styles, not yours. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start.

If you find my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and leave an ok or higher rating.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANK YOU

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Tom. If you have a problem or question during the install save this page to your favorites and ask me. I will followup with you. My normal hours are 8 to 8 eastern time.

Thank you for the opportunity,
Barry