Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a Maytag dishwasher (model # XXXXX). I recently

I have a Maytag dishwasher (model # XXXXX). I recently replaced the door latch and control panel. The dishwasher will fill with water but not continue through the cycle. It will then wait the 30 second time limit and shut off. Does the new control panel need to be programmed or reset? Could there be another problem and what should I look for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello, does the DW drain when you push cancel?

Randy 43 :

there is no reset , it should just work

Customer:

Yes it drains fully. I should not that when I had the inside panel off while the dishwasher rus running, i saw a small flash of light from 1 of the small white boxes on the circuit board.

Randy 43 :

that is going to be a shorted relay ,if you saw a flash ..off of this board?

Randy 43 :

Main Control Board - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

check the wires going down to the motor ,where the door hinges ,sometimes the wires can get cut and short out there ,pull on each wire to see if it is broken ..check the plug to the motor ,if everything ok ? you will need that board

Customer:

Yes, on the inside relay. The flash was inside the relay. this has happened the 3-4 times i tried to run the cycle. 2 days ago the dw worked fine, this only happened after i changed the control panel.

Randy 43 :

the control panel s fine ,it fills and drains

Randy 43 :

have you inserted all the wires and ribbon in the correct way ?

Randy 43 :

i would double check those then the wiring to the motor

Customer:

Exactly how they came off of the old one.

Randy 43 :

especially at where the wires hinge

Randy 43 :

we usually change the board with the touchpad

Randy 43 :

they work hand in hand

Randy 43 :

if one is shorting it will affect the other

Customer:

8 year old dishwasher, for the cost of it, i may need to look for a new one.

Randy 43 :

8 yrs old , definately check the wiring first ,it may be a simple wiring issue, before jumping into a new one

Randy 43 :

if it reqs a board then yes ,it may be time for a new one ..life span of 8-10 yrs on modern day appliances

Customer:

Good to know thanks. I'll check that wiring.

Randy 43 :

ok good luck

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert