Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kitchen aide KESH307HBS oven that takes very long

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aide KESH307HBS oven that takes very long to heat up. I suspect the back element is bad. Firstly, am I correct ? Secondly, the bake element is not accesible from inside. Do I get it out from the back or bottom ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

How long do you consider a long time exactly? 30 minutes? an hour?

And if you turn the broil on, wait about 2 minutes and do you see the element at the top of the oven starting to glow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

to reach 400 degrees can take 20-30 minutes, used to take 10 minutes. The broil element works fine. Totally glows except back 2 inches on each side where it connects to back of oven.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so there are 3 things that can cause this issue. Make sure the door is pulling shut and sealing up. If so, then you're down to a bad bake element or a bad control board. You'll need a multimeter to test continuity of the element. You should have a resistance between 5 and 50 ohms and if not, replace the element. The oven will need to be pulled out of the cabinets to remove the element. Pull the oven out, unplug the unit and look on the right side of your oven. Remove the access panel number 3 in the diagram on the right side of the oven. Then you can pull the bake element number 1 in the diagram out to test it or replace it.

graphic

If the element happens to test good, you'd need to replace the display relay control board. Otherwise just replace the element. Below is a link to the element since that is the likely part you will need to order.

CLICK HERE

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I had that diagram, but remain confused. Are you saying to remove the right side of the oven to get at part #3 ? I do not see it from the back. I have removed part #7 and part #6 , but getting #4 off looks like way more work than I would expect to change a bake element.?? Removing the back looks like more work than I would expect also. Thanks...I'll pay more when I get this down. I am very mechanical & think this is easier than it looks ??!! I have an ohmeter, so no problem testing the element if I can get to it !!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is correct you need to pull the oven out and remove the right side panel of the oven to access the part. You would think they would make it easier no? But hidden bake elements tend to have a lot of work involved unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right side looking from the front or looking from the back ?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Looking from the front.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds easier than I though then....I will keep this line open & get back to you with final $$$$ agreed ! Is thAT ok ? Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes of course, that is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wOW, AFTERALL i TOOK APART, THAT WAS MUCH EASIER !!! What a waste of time looking at back and bottom !! Resistance is infinitie....that means bad element, correct ?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
that is correct. The element is bad if it's infiniti so just replace it and you should be good to go again.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say zero ohms , is the element still the problem ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is still bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I initially read ohms on x100 scale and got 0 ohms , when I read on x1 scale I get 28 ohms , now what ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Now re-install the element and turn the oven on for baking. See if you get 240 volts between the 2 wires going to the element when the element is plugged in. If so, then there isn't anything you can do other than replace the control board if you think it's taking longer than it used to. If you're not getting 240 volts, then that definitely means the control board is bad and it would need to be replaced. So at this time it's down to either a bad control board or nothing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like if I DO GET 240 volts ,board is bad, and I DO NOT , board is bad ???

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you do get 240 volts, then the board is bad or there is nothing wrong.

If you do NOT get 240 volts, then the board is definitely bad.

25-30 minutes is a normal amount of time for ovens with a hidden bake element to heat up to temperature, it's one of the downsides of having a hidden bake element. That is why my first question was "how long does it take to preheat exactly 30 minutes"?

But if you say that it was less than that, then so be it---at this point the only possibility would be the control board if the door is pulled tight and the element is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK......ZERO volts at element. Checked voltage at receptacle to be sure both legs of 120 volt are good and they are. So i guess control board is bad. Soundsxpensive part too. That is sort of the whole "dashboard " ?? .

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is unfortunately. Below is a link to the part you'd need for your model.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still puzzled , though I ordered the part . Put all back together and oven works on bake although no voltage to element ! Broiler element is only partially glowing after a while . I am wondering if the heating is staged ? In other words , do I get no voltage early on , but wonder if after a while the panel gets the power to the element , thus slow heat up ? Wondering if I tested voltage after part heat up , would I get a reading ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the bake element should get voltage 100% of the time when preheating. The broil element only gets voltage 30% of the time to heat the oven up quicker on bake. The heating you're getting must all be coming from the broil element which is why it's taking so long to heat up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , thanks . I got the part for much less elsewhere on line and should fix it . Wifey will be happy when oven heats up faster if she can hang in there for the week until part arrives . Changing the control board looks real easy . If I'd have known to remove the right side panel to acess the bake element , that would have been easy too ! Thanks . I indicated the 50% extra in my cost .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ah, I'm glad you found it cheaper. I found it at a few places cheaper when I looked, but none of them seemed to have it in stock. Either way, good luck!