Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a magic chef model 3888vvv. Yesterday the display

We have a magic chef model 3888vvv.
Yesterday the display started to flicker dimly, after some time the display went dark. It is now unresponsive.

The stove top works fine.
Any ideas?

A reset button perhaps?

thank you much for any help and or addvice.
-Ulli
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the cooktop still working even though the display isn't responsive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes stove top works fine

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK well unfortunately there are no cut outs or fuses that will stop the display from working. This means that your display board itself has started to fail and just needs to be ordered and repalced to fix the issue. Now another problem is that your display board is not longer made. You need part number 12001603, but since its no longer made you'll need to contact CSS to have your old display board rebuilt if you wanted to fix the oven. Their number is XXXXX It generally costs about $150-200 to have your old board rebuilt.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Who or what is CSS?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
CSS is a company that rebuilds appliance timers and control boards. Their arn't many too choose from, but CSS and ApplianceTimers.com is who I generally recommend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are the odds that a solder connection is cracked?

Vs board / chip "burnt out"?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It definitely happens and you can look the back of the board over to see if you find a cracked solder joint of course, if you don't see anything obvious then the board would really need to be sent in to have it looked at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where might I get information on how to expose/remove the board?

I hoping I can get this thing to work that I might back pizza for my htree year old birthday party on Sunday.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yeah, getting it to work by sunday may be asking a bit much for such an old machine when parts aren't available. But all you have to to do access and remove the display board is pull the oven out and remove the screws going into the back of the control panel. Unplug the oven and remove the back of the control panel. That will allow you to access the control board from the back for removal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep I just pulled the thing back from the wall. It seems fairly obvious how

to proceed.

You may wonder, how did this guy remove power form the range with out pulling it away from the wall?

We had a 2-3 hour power outage last night.

Thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ah. Power outage will definitely short out a display board. But I do wish you only the best.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fortunately or unfortunately the thing stopped working Before the power outage.

are you aware of any large capacitors that I should be mindful of?

I only see the starter one on the Florissant light fixture and a few very small ones on the board itself.

Yes it looks as though I will be baking pizza at the neighbors house.

Do you know of any ovens that control temperature from 80 to 450 F.

I would love to be able to encourage bread to rise ( 80 ) culture yogurt (100)

and use the oven as a food dehydrator

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX giving you some good ratings soon.

Curiously the flourescent surface light stopped working at about the same time.

It seems the board and the light share a common power source and not much else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and use the oven as a food dehydrator