Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Our 4 year old Whirlpool washer stopped working part way through

Our 4 year old Whirlpool washer stopped working part way through its last load. It isn't the breaker or power cord. After messing with the dial I was able to get it started again, but it struggled to spin and then died again. I thought maybe it was the drive belt, but after taking it about found there isn't a belt. Any idea if this will be worth fixing?
Hello, what is the model number on the sticker under the lid and directly back in the middle?

Also does the washer still fill or is it completely dead?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only number under the lid is SM(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

It will still fill with water.

Also, I know the problem isn't with the lid switch.

Thank you.

If the lid switch was bad, it would still agitate. When the machine should be agitating or spinning you do not hear the motor, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was a little hum. Then after monkeying with the dial some and restarting a cycle it agitated for awhile and when it got to the rinse/spin cycle it tried spinning but slowly and then it died completely (no more hum). After unplugging for awhile and plugging back in there is a hum but can't get to spin.

Ok great well that means you either have a bad motor, motor coupler, or transmission. You need to remove the case to verify. Video for remove click here

Check the coupler if broken replace it. If it's not, remove the motor. Start the unit if the hum is still present then you likely have a failed motor. If there is not a hum, the transmission may likely be locked up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed the motor. The coupler is fine. Just to be sure I should start the unit without the motor in place, right? A hum means motor problems, no hum means transmission trouble.

Yes that is correct. If it still hums, the motor is likely shorted internally. If the motor spins, then the transmission is locked up. If the motor is bad, the part is around $150-200 if the transmission is bad $250-300 might be better to get another unit at that point