Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a GE DPVH880EJWW dryer that will not tumbe. The fan

Customer Question

I have a GE DPVH880EJWW dryer that will not tumbe. The fan blows, but it won't tumble. I had a repair man come out and he is at a loss. the belt is engaged, and looks great according to him. any suggetions as to what would cause this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Does the belt turn when the dryer is started? Can you turn the drum by hand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the drum will turn by hand. I don't think that the motor is engaging when the dryer is turned on. The guy I called thinks it is a setting that is messed up.

There is only one motor on this dryer. On one end of the motor is the blower and the other end the belt rides on. If the blower is turning it means the motor is turning. I would suspect a bad belt. The belt will get old and become harden rubber and won't stick to the motor or the drum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the repair man said that the belt is in great shape, any idea if it would be anything else?

Was the belt tight against the drum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes he said it should work the way it was in there and the way it looked. the dryer is only a couple years old, this is very frustrating

Something doesn't make sense. The motor is turning because the blower is running. If the drum will turn by hand then the belt should be turning it. The belt either has to be slipping on the motor or on the drum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the belt is not slipping on the drum or the motor. I just checked it. I am really lost as it sounds that you are as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
would like to get input form different technicians also
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.
The last expert was incorrect this model has TWO motors one for the blower and a separate drive motor that turns the drum .
When the servicer was at the unit did he say I was able to visibly see the drive motor turn ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he did not mention that. How would I be able to get to visualy see this motor? I have the top off of the machine, but cannot figure out how to get to the bottom to view the motor.

The top will need to be removed then the console will need to be unmounted and then the front panel removed and then belt taken off the drive motor pulley and then the drum can be pulled out to check the motor .
To check the motor, the door switch will need to be bypassed along with holding the idler pulley so it contacts the belt switch so it will power the drive motor .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

to get the front panel off what do I nee to do? do you know how many screws are holding it on? I have the console off already.

ok if you have the console off you have three screws that hold the top on one leftside ,one center , one rightside .
Then the front panel has two screw up yop two in the cewnter below the opening to the drum ,and two screws under the front panel .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. got the front off and the motor is not even moving when I start the cycle. I saw some fuses toward the back, could it be one of those?

Yes it could be one of them .
Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter to test them for voltage in and out of the fuses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i do not. I can just pull them and see if I can tell if they are bad.

I doubt if you will be able to tell unless they are broken , most you can not see thru .
but look at them any way !!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I replaced both fuses and that was not the problem. I am really lost. thank you for all of your help.

No problem ,glad to assist you ,good luck .
All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know.
You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me.
Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation.
If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link
and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power
so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just thought I would let you know, with allot of reasearch th repairman came back today and determined that the problem withthe dryer is in the circut board. fortunatly it is covered under a 5 year warranty. Thanks for your help.

Great ,glad you found out !
Thank you