Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

Hello - we have a GE Profile Fridge Model # XXXXX

Hello - we have a GE Profile Fridge Model # XXXXX We've been hearing a whirring sound over the past two weeks+ and need a fix. I've seen two different on line threads; One stating that a motor within the freezer compartment may be the cause, another the control board needs replacement.

What is your recommendation?

Sincerely,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

If the noise you hear very loud? I assume you hear it from the freezer section more than anywhere.....correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I wouldn't say it is very loud, but it is somewhat loud, and annoying. The whirring sound increases and then decreases in pitch. May go for 15 mins +. Will cease when now activity (open and closing) takes place but is probably present over 50% of the day. Wife going nuts.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ok you just verified the problem....thank you. You will need the replace the fan motor in the freezer. Part# XXXXX WR60X10228 around $100. It located behind the rear inside panel of the freezer. You will need to unplug the unit to replace. If you find this information helpful, please give me a great rating. This will not close out your question. Just respond back if further assist is needed....thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason - Always happy to reply with a great rating. Before we finish, where do I find this part? do I order through GE or is there another local source near Denver to consider?

Also, so the control board option is not part of the problem?

Thanks,

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The control is recommended to replace if you are having a cooling problem with the fan, being a dc volt motor. But in your case, the bearings are just going bad, so replacement motor only is needed. You can get the part at searspartsdirect.com, repairclinic.com, or look in your phone book for a local appliance part vendor.....thanks again.
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience