Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

i have a french door maytag refrigerator. One door was left

i have a french door maytag refrigerator. One door was left ajar for a week. When I got home from being away, the temp was 72 degrees and the freezer was still working normal. I closed the door and it didn't get cooler after an hour. What is my next step?

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

When you leave the a door open, this allows ambient (outside air to enter the fridge) which we already know. When that air enters, moisture is also entered as well. This moisture turns into frost. You duct are frosted between the fridge and freezer. If you move your food into a cooler, unplug the fridge, and leave all doors open for 24 hrs, it should be back to normal. After 24 hrs pug unit back in, adjusted temp to middle setting if dial, or slide, and 0/38 is digital control (normal settings). You will be able to add food back into the unit after a couple hours, but allow 24 hrs for the initial (plug-in) to get everything back to normal. If this information helps, please give a great rating. If not, please respond back for more information....thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the freezer is on the bottom. Do i have to remove everything from the freezer too?

Yes, because you are going to have to unplug the unit, and leave all doors open for 24hrs. Let me ask you one question for verification, you do hear the fan running in the freezer......correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hear something working when i put my ear to the side of the refrigerator

Ok, it sounds like it is running. I just wanted to make sure. I stand with the previous post. Follow my 1st response to do a 24 hr defrost, you should be ok after that. Please give ma great rating if I was able to assist you. This will not close out your question. Save this in you favorites, and respond back if you find that you need further advise, or help......thanks again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I like to know how things work. I'm assuming that air is refrigerated and sent to the freezer first, then is transferred to the refrigerated section via a duct. Basically, there is one cooling unit for two compartments. Is that a correct assumption?

You are absolutley correct. There is an evporator coil which collects the heat from the unit in the freezer, and distibutes the heat collects thru to the condensing coil at the compressor area.....that is why you feel heat from under the unit. The fan in the freezer blows across the is coil (being very cold) and moves air thru the freezer circulating in the freezer, It also, blows are thru a suppy duct to a damper in the fridge. This damper allows airflow to enter the fridge when needed. The air then has a return duct the flow back into the freezer section. This is how the airflows, and how the unit cools. I hope this information has assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. It's easier for me to understand the fix when I understand the process.

You are very much welcome, just respond back if you need further help. Please give a great rating if I was bale to assist you, this is how I get compensated for answering the question....thanks again.