Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

kenmore compressor hot & wont start8.9, 4.6, 6.2 ohms Tested capac

Customer Question

kenmore compressor hot & wont start
8.9, 4.6, 6.2 ohms
Tested capacitor with cap tester ,showing 16mf was rated 15mf.
Ol/relay not rattling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, go ahead

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Have not received answer yet since yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please note that its a "Refrigerator" compressor in my question, so if u can add this word in my question.

Thanks

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section for the sticker up high on the wall, your model number has a prefix (110, 253, 596,106) are some for example. Could you please post that prefix along with the (.) and the model number.

Also is the compressor too hot to hold your hand on?

What is the voltage to the compressor measured from the frame ground to any of the wire terminals at the relay?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

kenmore rerigerator mod# 596. 516 70 100

cant find prifix #

123 v on relay one pin, condenser fan running,

compressor tyring to start (humming), Relay/OL tripped after 16 sec,

condenser fan stopped, removed relay and checked voltage on relay, no voltages, Relay/OL reset approx after 5 min.

Checked capacitor with capacitor testor =16mf

8.9, 4.6, 6.2 ohms on compressor winding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one more thing because compressor tripped after 16 sec so its not hot i can put my hand for forever

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, If you find my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and leave an ok or better rating.

You can try a new overload and relay set and see if that gets it going but too if the overload and relay set is bad the compressor could have caused that failure. Really the only thing you can do is try a new one and see if it runs. If it does not then you will know the compressor is in fact bad. I have the overload and relay set linked below. And these do fail

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/67005560/1159182?RCAID=1000064

Unplug the refrigerator. On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in.
If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link"

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We r not sure which one is bad eighter relay, OL, capacitor or compressor.

Decide your own rating and I'll rate you.

I am waiting for OL/Relay and capacitor shipment.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Oh man I can t do that. I m an honest person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

replaced capacitor and ol/relay still same problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

replaced capacitor and ol/relay still same problem,no luck.

have to replace the refrigerator now.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

.

.

Was the model of the compressor a Techumsah? It should also have a blue indian on it?