Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hello. My Bosch wall oven will no longer bake. When the bake

Customer Question

Hello. My Bosch wall oven will no longer bake. When the bake function is pressed, the oven temp goes up really high and burns whatever is in the oven. We've tried turning the braker off then on. What could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, can't find the exact model number, but it could be one of the following: HB8750, HBL8550, HBL8650

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I have no info on that unit. I'll put this question back on the board, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what does it mean to put the question back on the board?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the info so I put this back on the list at the top and another tech will pick this up.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is Jon and i am an authorized bosch service tech and i can help you today, if you still need it?

please ope the oven door and look either down the side of the door for the model sticker or on the inside of the oven side wall. nearest to the door.

please list the full model number so i can look up the model oven you have.

and do you have a meter to do any testing with?

the possibilities here for the failure are the oven sensor, thermostat and or oven control board. either one of those parts could cause the oven to over heat and burn your food. and i will show you how to test them to see if they are failing or not so we can know for sure what is going on.

please get back to me here with the full model number of the machine and we can proceed.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HBL8450UC

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Great.

Thank you for the model number. I will look it up right now.

Do you have a meter to do some checking with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what type of meter you're speaking of?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
an ac volt meter. preferably one with a continuity check on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, we don't have one of those

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok no worries.

he is what you can do.

first power on the machine and put into a bake cycle on 350 degrees. it should come up to temp in about 10-15 minutes. if it takes any longer or faster then that please let me know.

after it comes up to temp and preheat cycle is raise the temp to 425 and see if it gives you another preheat tone at 425. it should take about another 5 minutes.

if it takes any longer then that the sensor is bad. if it comes up to temp right away or faster then 5 minutes then the computer and sensor are bad.

if it sounds like the computer is clicking alot during any part of the bake cycle then the computer is bad.

run that check and get back to me here and let em know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It about 5 minutes for the temperature to raise to 105 degrees and then it began smoking on the inside. There was a lot of clicking during the preheating that started off slow and sped up quickly. I turned the oven off because of the smoking and burning smell.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
smoking inside the oven cavity where you bake? or smoke inside the console where the oven control is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Inside the oven

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
the bake element is not exposed on your oven, correct?

if not, then there is a problem with the bake element and possibly the wiring to it. and will need to be checked by first powering off the machine and pulling out from the wall. then removing the screws to the back panel hiding the element. first check the wiring. if it is shorted or burnt out then that is the problem. if wiring looks good remove the bake element and check that. if both the element and wiring look good, which it most likely will not if there was smoke, then the computer is sending the wrong voltage to the element and causing the problem.

if element looks burnt or damaged in any way that is the problem.

check that and get back to me and let me know what you find.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
you will probably find some damage to either the element or wiring and or the insulation. what ever you find please let me know and i will tell you how to proceed and fix it.

thanks