Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have tried to buy 3 different used electric dryers but none

Customer Question

I have tried to buy 3 different used electric dryers but none of them worked when I brought them home. I then bought a like new 3 year old Maytag electric dryer and brought it home but same result.....it would light up but not start.. I had an electrician come by and but a voltage meter to my breaker, my plug and also inside the dryer and got all the proper readings for a 220.......What could be causing this???? 4 dryers failed to work including the first dryer which worked fine for three monthes and then it would light up but not start......so I'm guessing it's not a dryer issue but something electrical.....help!!!!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.
Yes it sounds as if you have a household electrical issue .
When the electrician checked the voltage did he check it under a load while you or he tried to start the unit ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.....he just checked the breaker, the outlet and where the wires connect inside the drier but not under load......according to him all readings were perfect........

I bet they were correct ,until you press the start button and then the voltage will drop out on one of the two 120 volt legs .
This is called a floating neutral .
Do you have a meter or was it just the electrician?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it was the electrician.....he's coming back in the morning but he seemed baffled when I called him tonight.....what ever you suggest I will print and give it to him in the morning.......I just have no knowledge in the field.......

My old dryer did work for three monthes with no problems plugged into the same 220 but then all of a sudden it stopped starting......that when I brought dryers home but none of them would start so something happened suddenly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well....what do you think?????

OK have him Check L1 to L2 read the voltage and than while still reading the voltage press the start button .
And see if the 240 volts drops .
If it does then check L1 to neutral and then press the start button to see if the voltage drops it should stay constant at 120 volts
And then do L2 to neutral and see if it drops .
The voltage should not drop at all on any of these checks .
I always recommend testing voltages under a load .
Sorry I was writing !
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And if they drop how would we correct that???

Could the outlet be faulty???

Could be a faulty outlet , a loose wire in the wall or a faulty breaker.

They can test the outlet the same way open the outlet and with the dryer pligged in and press start , and even go to the breaker and do the same thing to find where the voltage is no longer dropping .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Like I said everything was fine up until a week ago......so this can just happen overnight......one day working and then the next NOT......what would cause it to do this after a year of no problems???? I just want to understand the why.....I promise this will be my last question

Breaker go bad on a regular basis, with the unit running the wires ,breaker ,outlet all get warm and expand , then when it shuts down the items cool down and contract .
With this expantion and contractions the connections can become weak and loose .
And even the simplest components fail , just like a light switch on a wall or a light bulb parts do fail .
Most are actually designed to fail ,that is the only way companies make money when you but more !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Woody.........We should be able to whip this in the morning with your direction

No problem at all .
Glad to assist you ,
Even after you rate me I will still answer your questions if you need me to !