Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized

my microwave starts up when you close the door, no fan, it

Customer Question

my microwave starts up when you close the door, no fan, it gets hot inside
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Parts replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Parts :

Hi my name isXXXXX have been a Maytag service tech since 1992.
Do you have the complete model number off the inside of the door cavity?
There is actually 3 door switches behind the door latch where the door close at.
If the fan switch is not made up, the fan will not come one but will heat.

JACUSTOMER-h0a4imsz- :

mmv4205bas ser.16207002nl

Appliance Parts :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX pull the model up and i will be back in a few. Do you have an ohm/volt meter ?

JACUSTOMER-h0a4imsz- :

yes

Appliance Parts :

Alright going to need you to unplug the microwave. Remove the top grill. Remove the top center screw on the control panel. Lift the control panel up and out of the way. On this model there is actually 4 door switches. It is best to check all switches for resistance when they are activated and not. You will also remove wire by wire and test one switch at a time to make sure you are not get false reading when using the ohm meter.
One of the door switches will be the issue in most cases. If the switches read all ok. The only thing left is in the motor itself, or the main control board not supplying power.

JACUSTOMER-h0a4imsz- :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-h0a4imsz- :

ill try this tonight

Appliance Parts :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know what you find. All these steps are done with the microwave still in place in mount.
You can also ohm out the fan motor (just looking for resistance 45Ω ± 7%)
If all switches and motor check good, replace control.

Rating my response does not close this question. After you rate me you can continue to ask follow-up questions at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. If you need anything else, please just let me know at any time.

Appliance Parts :

Here is also the parts manual:
https://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%20MMV4205BAS.pdf

Page 6 of the PDF you would be looking at item numbers 14,15,16 door switches on the page 6.

JACUSTOMER-h0a4imsz- :

thanks

Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the switches on the micro work fine, so what is the next step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is no one there i sent a message on Saturday

Gain access to the fan motor and check for resistance.
If the resistance is there on the correct fan motor, change the control board.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my ohm meter at 200 reads 42.8 , is this in range

Yes motor is good, change the board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, I'm buying a new one, its cheaper then repairing

Sorry for the bad news, i will close out the question. Thank you