Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a Kenmore Elite model 721.63683300 microwave, manufactured

I have a Kenmore Elite model 721.63683300 microwave, manufactured in June 2003. Recently it started to make a scary buzzing sound about 1-2 seconds after we started a cooking cycle. After that the sounds were ordinary and the cooking went OK. Now we don't hear this buzzing sound, but the cooking times have increased about double or triple compared to normal.

My questions are: 1) Is this worth repairing, considering the age of the unit? Is replacement a better option? 2) My web searches so far have suggested this might be a bad diode or magnetron or something related to the power supply. Is this repair job suitable for a homeowner of average to slightly above average ability? (I have a multitester, soldering station, and some other minor electronic repair tools.)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to assist you. Okay you have some very good and valid question. First with the symptoms I agree that you are having magnetron and/or power issues. I looked up your magnetron with Sears and it says you need to call them for assistance with the part (money!!). Also your microwave doesn't have a high voltage transformer. It has a PCB which controls the power to the magnetron (around $140). Based on these facts and the age of the microwave (normal life is 7 to 10 years) I would suggest you look at replacing your microwave. You can repair the microwave for probably about $200 but whose to say that the control board won't go bad next week or so. Don't throw good money at bad. This is what I would suggest to any of my customers. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never opened a microwave, and this doesn't seem like the occasion to start. Considering that I can get a good new unit for $250-350, it doesn't seem worth the effort to repair this one. I'll take some time to shop around because we are still getting some heating from the unit. I wonder why this was designed with a complicated PCB instead of a transformer. I guess a robot could crank out the PCB at less cost. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for your advice.