MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician

I have a ge range no electric, standing pilot only model rga524pw4wh.

I have a ge range no electric, standing pilot only model rga524pw4wh. Oven most of the time will not light off of the pilot, if it does light , it reaches temp, shuts off burner and will not relight when it cools. I can put heat on the mercury bulb and that is the only way it will relight itself. I have tried cleaning and adjustments, think it could be thermopile? If so is it an easy fix? Any help Mutch appreciated!
This does not use a thermopile- the whole gas safety valve is what you need to replace here and it is easily done. The sensing bulb is all part of it. As long as the pilot flame increases in size on the call for heating then the valve is your problem. Any local appliance parts supply should have a valve that matches yours- they are very generic in nature, so don't pay the probably high GE price for it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pilot does increase just doesn't light unless I give mercury bulb more heat with lighter,then it sends gas to burner and will ignite. Any online videos you know of how to do replacement of safety valve?
So I need to purchase just a whole gas safety valve and that is it? Thanks for the help!
get the whole valve- you simply unscrew the gas line fitting and remove whatever screws hold it in place-it is pretty straight-forward. Take the old one with you so the parts supply can match it up.