Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

kitchenaid dishwasher will start the initial cycle and begin

kitchenaid dishwasher will start the initial cycle and begin to wash, then shutdown and give the 7 light error code...the heating element is fine... i checked it. I got it to do a whole cycle yesterday after resetting it about a dozen separate times... Could it be it's not getting enough water ? I live in a rural location with hard water...
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...You are saying the error code will reset..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yup... I will clear the code... all the button light up, then hit clear, close the door and it will drain a bit and turn off. When I open the door and look again everything is off... I then select a cycle... any of the 4 get the same result... close the door and it starts it's normal thing..... it will just start the washing/sloshing and then shuts down...

Ok Great..I take it the Clean light is what is flashing..? Can you tell me what method you used to check the heating element..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I touched it ....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am thinking the issue is water volume... there is not enough water for the machine to operate. I live in an area with hard water and the machine is run at least once daily over the past 4 years... could there be scale buildup that is preventing enough water to fill it up so when it get ready to have the arms throw it, it senses there isnt enough ?

You can check the water volume by starting the wash..Once the unit fills..Open the door..The water level should be just under the heating element..There are a few components to the heat circuit..The element, The Computer, door switch and thermostat. The thermostats would need to be tested with a test meter..You would not be able to test the computer without factory test equipment..From what you are describing..It sounds like the heating element is ok..What you would need to do is make sure the door switch is working properly then test the thermostats.Worse case scenario is a faulty computer...THis would be determined after testing the components mentioned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if it's the computer, what kind of cost would i be looking at ?

Computers cost any where from $90.00-$135.00 depending upon the model number
Like said you would first need to test each component to rule the Computer control as being faulty..Also make sure the door is closing properly and staying closed...If you do have any further questions i will be standing by If not please remember to rate my answer to you at "Ok " Or greater so that the system my credit my time helping you today..Thank You Bob