Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My 4yr old Kitchenaid fridge KBRS19KTBL 01 has stopped cooling

My 4yr old Kitchenaid fridge KBRS19KTBL 01 has stopped cooling in the refridgerator section. The bottom freezer appears to be too cold, and is frosting up on occasion.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Is the frost inside the freezer on the back panel ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Small amt on back panel, also vents on back panel frosted up, and some frost on top lip of freezer drawer

okay, you have a defrost issue I believe, can you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? number 11 on this diagram. you need to check the frost pattern on the coils, also is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan is running. I am not able to remove the back panel by myself, I will have help this afternoon. I can see frost on the coils through the vent on back panel

okay, when you get some help come back and let me know how much frost, if this is really full (coils clogged) then thats the issue and it sounds like it is. the most common failure in this refrigerator is the defrost thermostat. Defrost Thermostat W10165425 Main Product View you will probably need to replace it. for now though if you can get the panel off and defrost the coils with a hair dryer and put the panel back in this will run correctly until the part arrives. this will run correctly for about 3 weeks before it freezes up again.