Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Trouble with Jennair trash compactor

Trouble with Jennair trash compactor

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

So you unit is stuck with the ram down and the motor runs constantly, is that correct?

Customer:

I am only assuming the ram is stuck down based on owners manual

Robert :

If the door will not open then that is a pretty safe assumption.

Customer:

You are correct

Robert :

It sounds like the gear on the bottom of the unit may have sheared. I know you can't get me a model number but can you tell me how old the unit is so I can get a diagram for you?

Customer:

I just took occupancy of home. Don't know age. It is a model Jennair TC-406

Robert :

That works. Give me just a minute or so.

Robert :

Number 10 is the gear I am referring to.

Robert :

It looks like this:

Robert :

That is the most common problem on these units. You can pull the uni out and lay it on its side to remove the bottom. This will reveal the gear underneath.

Robert :

The part number for the kit is 882699 and they sell for around 30 dollars at www.searspartsdirect.com

Customer:

Should I call a service technician or attempt to repair myself. I obviously need info on how to remove and access part

Robert :

If you are handy then you will be able to do it yourself.

Customer:

Is there any way I can just get the door open otherwise just to use the unit manually for trash can purposes?

Robert :

Not without getting that ram up. You would have to remove the bottom cover on the unit and spin the chain until the ram lifted clear of the bucket so you could open it. The cam is pretty easy to replace. You remove the bottom cover, pop the pin on the old cam, push the pin out of the motor cam and sliding both cams off. This will make it easy to put the new parts on and there is no timing setting for the chain on the unit. Once it is set, it is ready to go.

Robert :

Does that sound like something you can handle?

Customer:

If I can determine how to remove the unit from under neath the countertop the repair sounds easy.

Robert :

I have had to cut the screw heads off to get them out and service them.

Customer:

Thanks for your help to this point! I will try to figure out how to remove unit from here.

Robert :

Good luck getting it out. Just let me know if you need any other assistance in the future. I will be glad to help you out.

Customer:

Thank you