Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, I have a Kenmore bottom freezer unit, The top refridge

Hello, I have a Kenmore bottom freezer unit, The top refridge side is cooling fine but the freezer is not freeezing. It gets to about 32 deg thats it. The only thing I noitced is that when I adjust the freezer control to off the top fridge section also turns off. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the model number so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model 596.71103101

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay prefect, is the fan running in the freezer ? also can you pull this away from the wall and go behind and remove the panel covering the compressor ? check the fan next to the compressor and make sure thats running also ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have it pulled away from the wall, panel off. The fan in the back near the compressor is running. I can't tell if there is another fan running. When i switch the freezer control to off the fan turns off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay is there any frost on the back wall inside the freezer anywhere ? look real good behind your food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see no frost anywhere. There is a pan with a tube coneccting it to something up top, The pan is dry. I see no signs of frosting anywhere. The freezer is empty since it hasn't been freezing I emptied it out

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , what you will need to do next is remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a look at the evaporator coils. we need to know what the frost pattern looks like , can you do that and let me know?you will have to remove the ice maker if there is one to get the panel out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok willl do

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Panels off. I see some frost along with some ice build up on the top right, not much. I can send a picture if you'd like

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh . thats not good. if you only see a small amount in one corner and the rest of the coils are not frosted at all it means you have a freon leak. thats why its just getting cold enough in the refrigerator section but not the freezer, all the coils need to be lightly frosted . if there not you are low on freon. sorry for the bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what are my options?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You cant recharge this yourself you would need an HVAC tech to put a tap in and vacuum the system down then recharge it. unfortunately with the freon laws today a licensed tech is required by law. this will probably run you around $200.00 if you wanted to fix this unit.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.