Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kitchen Aid counter depth side by side model KSFS25FKWH00

I have a Kitchen Aid counter depth side by side model KSFS25FKWH00 refrigerator that has an intermittent failure with the water pump. The water pump and light on the dispensing station seen to be inter connected. When the light functions, the pump will work. If the light does not function, the pump will not come on to dispense water. Unplugging the fridge and replugging it often results with the system working, but only for a short while as it will soon no longer function. If left in the on position, the light will eventually come back on (as will the pumping function).

I am at a loss as I can't seen to find a loose wire or can't make the system start by wiggling any of the wires/connectors underneath the fridge. Is it possible there is an issue with the control module?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is this your dispenser ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is my unit. The dispenser is #23

okay part number 18 on the diagram is the issue. I cant seem to get the part number for it. its comming up as the whole assembly I believe. that means you have to order part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN.according to the diagram. is that what you came up with when you search Sear's?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
#18 was my thought as well. No, it appears that I need to buy the entire assembly#2219823W. As I open & close the freezer door, the dispenser light comes on but not with a good connection as the Dwight is dim and flickering. One out of three times, the dim & flickering changes and the light is on properly. It is at these times when the light is on that the dispenser works.

Does that assembly "snap" into the door shell or are there some hidden screws?

heres a video on how these come apart. watch the video and take the dispenser front off, check all the plugs, unplug and replug the to see if maybe theres a bad connection. if not replace the assembly. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I thought it might have been the control module, but is a lot of money to put out without having some confirmation. Thanks again.
your welcome, sorry for the late reply, my computer just crashed, back up and running if you need me, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Opened cover, reseated all connections. Problem still intermittent. That control module actuates light on/off, lock/unlock, ice crushed/cubed.

Is power to the water pump supplied through that module when the water dispense lever is actuated? If not, then I am not sure the module is the problem. Could there be a common power supply (to both the pump & that control module) in either of the two harnesses that could be at fault? I would tend to think that the dispenser switch (does not appear to be a part of that control module) operates the pump through a different switch.

I also noticed that opening & closing the freezer door interrupts power to both the pump & light. The light soon comes back on by itself.
The way it works is the power goes through that board when you select water or ice. then the switch activates the electronic water valve or the ice dispenser.. the power is selected to each of the different components through the board. in other words the light that lights up doesn't get its power from the actuator switch (micro switch) the switch gets its power through the board. I doubt the harnesses are an issue. the one thing you may want to check is the freezer door switch. if that is bad that could cause the issue. which is possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had also thought of the freezer door switch. The light toggles on/off every time with out fail. Please note that there is no selection for water on the control module. I understand that the light gets its power through the module when the electronic button on the membrane keypad is selected. If that switch is turned off, the light is also illuminated discretely when the water dispenser switch is activated. That would lead me to believe that the micro switch for the dispensing lever also passes through that board and subsequently powers the light during dispense and powers the water pump as long as it is actuated. Is this correct?
the power does come through the light switch (the switch inside the freezer) the reason for this is so when you have the door open the ice dispenser cant accidentally be activated throwing ice onto the floor. so the board does get its power through the freezer light switch. the light in the dispenser comes on when you press for ice or water so you can see whats comming out into your glass but that switch doesn't control the membrane itself only the light. I would try changing the freezer light switch or test it to make sure it doesn't have moisture in it that corroded the contacts inside. its a two way switch. when the door is shut the power goes to the dispenser and when its open to the freezer lights.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. That makes sense. This is most likely the source of my problem!
your welcome ! thanks for hanging in there. the more I thought about it the more the switch for the freezer light sounds like the culprit. and its only $11.00 ! heres a link if you need to order it. http://www.searsparts have a great night and please don't forget to rate me, 3 or above is a good rating, thanks, Bryan