Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi, Just moved in to a house that has a GE gas stove that wont

Hi, Just moved in to a house that has a GE gas stove that won't boil water. I've tried all four burners. The flame is not enough to bring even 2 quarts of water to a boil after 25 minutes. Instead it just evaporates and gets tiny bubbles around the perimeter of the pot.

Called GE with model and serial number and they described the following regarding this specific model.

Left Rear Burner = 8,000 BTU
All other burners = 7,000 BTU
Center burner = 6,000 BTU
They said it should boil 4 CUPS of water in 7 minutes.........(Who boils only 4 cups of water)????

It's a model JGBS09PEHIWW

My question: Is there a way to change out jets or increase flame on this model?

GE says no there is not. They also said this model hasn't been made in about 10 years although it looks new to me. Really a very bottom of the line stove. Doesn't even have a broiler.

Thanks, Deb

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

how high are the flames ? in inches? are the blue or orange ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Flames are all even and consistent, blue and a bit less than an inch from the where they come out of the holes.

Okay , well they were telling you the truth about not being able to adjust the flame. Your flame seems real low though and that could be caused by a bad gas regulator in the range. this however is something you cant test or replace yourself. is this propane or natural gas? if its propane you should have the regulator on the tank checked also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's natural gas. My husband called GE and they told him this model should boil 4 CUPS of water in 11 minutes. That in itself seems like a strange answer to me. Who boils only 4 Cups and wow 11 minutes is a long time, right?

sorry I was off line . yes thats a long time, I wish I could tell you a fast fix for that. you really need to have the pressure checked and make sure the regulator is good. other than that theres no adjustments on this one. the regular controls the pressure .