Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Frigidaire - SJ(NNN) NNN-NNNN- The unit runs but it seems that it

Frigidaire - SJ(NNN) NNN-NNNN- The unit runs but it seems that it cuts off after a while. almost like the automatic defrost switch is stuck. when you open the door and close it, you can here the unit come back on but will not continue to run..

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you recheck that model number?its not comming up. check the tag inside the refrigerator on either the side wall or the ceiling if you can.thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about that - ED 25rfxfq01

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the unit is 13 years old

still not comming up frigidaire ?mmm. okay, does eveything stop running ? fans,compressor, and it goes completely silent ? accept for the lights?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ED 25 RFXFW01...type it in wrong....that is correct...goes silent but the lights work

Okay good I think I got it. this is a bad cold control. after so many years the cold control inside get corroded, this causes the refrigerator to shut off. what you can try before ordering this is unplug the refrigerator and take the two wires off the cold control (the part you turn to set the temp.) tape them together and plug the refrigerator back in. let it run. if it doesnt shut off then replace the control. heres a link to the part. if it does shut down again the defrost timer is the issue. in most cases like your though its the temp control, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks....I couple of questions more. there are two controls. one for the fridge and one for the freezer. which one to a direct wire?

how long should I let it run to determine if it is the switch(s)

the one on the right. also the defrost timer is up in the control too. just drop the control down and you will see. heres a link to the diagarms of the control, the temp control is #9 and the defrost timer is # XXXXX let it run for about an hour should do it. if it doesnt stop by then the temp control is the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Took all the screws out but the cover does not seem to want to break loose from the top of the is like it is glued or in some I force it out? back is lose and moves. front part at the top does not want to break free

oh sorry, take part number 25 off (it snaps on remove the two knobs ) that is just a cover. there are two scews under that you remove then the control will come down. sorry I forgot that. use a putty knife to pry # XXXXX off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do not want to cut the clips off to be able to wire it together. suggestions on how to wire together? do I cut the pastic off the clips and try taping together?

do you have a peice of wire you can strip to bypass the control ? just take a peice and strip it off on both ends and stick it it the connectors then tape it (be sure the refrigerator is unplugged)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well....I plugged it in and it did not kick on. lights worke but no compressor running. tried hooking it back to the switch and plugged it in and nothing....

at a loss

okay you see the defrost timer there right > try turning the round sloted part and see if the refrigerator comes on. the gray part.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just kinda jiggled the defrost switch and it started you think it could be that part?

yes. unplug the refrigerator and the unplug the defrost timer and check the plug for corrosion, put it back in and plug the refrigerator back in, does it start ? I would replace the timer to be safe. its $22.00 at the folowing link. its probably inside the timer thats bad. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan