Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

my maytag convection oven went into alarm and locked. the fault

Customer Question

my maytag convection oven went into alarm and locked. the fault wasf9 or f6. i unplugged the oven and plugged it back in, the alarm went away but the clock and oven control display went black, the stovetop works
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Robert : Hello
Robert : Let me check both of those codes for you.
Customer:

hello

Robert : Was the unit just sitting there or in use?
Customer:

sitting there

Robert : The F6 error is a clock relay failure and the F9 is a lock relay error code.
Customer:

well the stove did lock out

Robert : The f9 code usually happens during use so I would suspect that the clock shortes, sent the signal to the lock to lock up for safety and then died.
Robert : Shorted*
Customer:

now the oven display is black and the oven does not work

Robert : Looks like you will have to replace the clock/control unit to fix it.
Robert : do you have the model number?
Customer:

mes55770acw

Robert : And the first two numbers of the serial number?
Customer:

28

Robert : 5760M292-60 is the part number for the new clock on your unit. It is about 183 dollars at www.searspartsdirect.com. Does this sound like a repair you want to try yourself?
Customer:

yes

Robert :

Ok. Let me get you the part breakdown pics for this unit.

Customer:

great

Robert :

Do you want to replace the latch assy while you have it apart?

Customer:

well that seems to work fine

Robert :

Ok. Didn't know if you had tried to pry it open or not. If so, I recommend replacing it.

Customer:

ok then i will

Robert :

Oh, you tried prying it open?

Customer:

no i did not

Customer:

sorry i read that wrong

Robert :

That's fine.

Customer:

i think the latch is fine

Robert :

I was looking for a video to show you how to get into it.

Robert :

I may just have to type it for you but let me check.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

No video.

Robert :

Are you pretty handy with tools and instructions?

Customer:

yes i think so

Robert :

I found a video of a similar unit to yours. It will show you how to take the panel off and make the job ALOT easier.

Robert :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQdnId6q2c

Customer:

thats the address i use

Robert :

Just ignore the swtich removal that he does after removing the panel. This will give you an idea of how to get into it.

Robert :

Yes, that is the link.

Customer:

ok great

Robert :

Just make sure the breaker is off before you start.

Robert :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Robert :

Don't take the unit apart until you get the new control in. It is almost impossible to match the wires if you accidentally pull them off now. When you get the new clock/control just transfer wire for wire until complete.

Customer:

ok thanks

Robert :

No problem.

Customer:

ok thanks

Robert :

Anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

no thats good

Robert :

Have a great evening and feel free to come back with any other questions!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.