Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Need help with GE Profile side by side refreigerator that runs

Customer Question

Need help with GE Profile side by side refreigerator that runs continuously - temperature control issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

I know you stated that you did a general inspection but I wanted to clarify a few things.

Robert :

Is the fan in the freezer working? If you close the freezer, open the refrigerator and hold the door light switch closed, can you feel air blowing into the compartment from the freezer side? Is the fan down by the compressor working and are the coils clean?

Robert :

Also, look on the back lower panel on the inside of the freezer compartment. Is it covered in frost?

Customer:

Yes, everything seems to be working fine. I opened the door but pressed the switch and it ran fine. The best I can determine is that the thermometer reading indicates the interior of the refrigerator is 85 degrees, which I'm guessing is why the refreigerator continues to run. The actual temperatire is much colder and below frezing in some spots.

Robert :

Did you confirm that the back inside panel of the freezer is clear of any frost and that the vent on the bottom of that panel is not blocked in any way?

Customer:

We pulled the fridge out from the wall the other day, vacuumed everything we could see, but did not take anything apart. I checked for any ice build up anywhere without dismantling and see no evidence. Again - I did not take anything apart.

Robert :

Understood. You said the thermometer is showing 85. Is that the controls on the unit reading that or an aftermarket thermometer.

Customer:

it is the readout that is part of the unit from GE (built in)

Robert :

Do you have the model number of the unit so I can look at the controls myself?

Customer:

Model # = PSC25PSTA Serial # = RL 428886

Robert :

Let me pull that up.

Robert :

Sorry about the wait.

Robert :

Checking all of the service bulletins on this unit.

Robert :

How old is yours?

Robert :

Production date on the unit shows August of 06

Customer:

It was with the house that I just moved in to. I think it is a 2006 model...maybe 2005. Can't tell from the serial number.

Robert :

Sounds right.

Robert :

They discontinued this unit due to some recurring problems. It appears that your problem stems from a faulty control board on the unit.

Customer:

Can it be fixed? How much am I looking at?

Robert :

It calls for a kit replacement of WR49X10152.

Robert :

The kit is about 223 dollars at this site: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/ GE-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/WR49X10152/0046/363/Model-PSC25PSTASS/0432/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G1007041&diagramPageId=00002&productTypeId=0165000&searchModelNumber=PSC25PSTASS&subCompDesc=Sealed%20system%20&%20mother%20board&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR-T-SERIES&blt=11&shdMod=

Robert :

You can get to it also by going to www.searspartsdirect.com and entering the part number I gave you above.

Robert :

To replace the board on the unit you will need to unplug the refrigerator and locate the panel on the back of the unit right above the compressor housing area. It will be a metal rectangle with several screws on it. Read the instructions on the inside of the part box and replace the board as per the instructions. This is supposed to take care of the problems you have posted that your unit has.

Customer:

Is it a complicated job requiring special tools or know how? What do you think the labor would come in at? Something I can do or should stay away from? I am average mechanic.

Robert :

It is not a hard job at all. You just need a 1/4 inch nutdriver and needle nose pliers.

Robert :

Labor and everything on a job like this could drive the price up over 350 dollars.

Robert :

It is a job you could do if you are moderately handy.

Customer:

And $223...:-) OK...was hoping to replace a thermometer, but no luck. You feel replacing the board will solve my problem then?

Robert :

Everything that I have read points to yes. I have had to do several of these out in the field also and they worked good afterwards. I would recommend letting the unit go unplugged with the doors open for a day or so before replacing the part if you can. This will allow it to start off like brand new and get to the proper reading the way it should. If you don't have a backup OR the time, just leave it unplugged while you are working on it and then plug it back in. It should be fine.

Customer:

OK..thank you for your help.

Robert :

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Robert :

Please click the accept button if I have helped you and have a great afternoon!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the mother board, but it did not seem to fix the problem. The refrigerator still runs non stop and the temperature display still reads rediculously high. I did not replace the inverter cable (I think it links the condensor to mother board???) - it is just two wires with connectors. Should I replace this as well? Any other thoughts?