Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Model HLP23E Haier top load washer. Suddenly receiving E1

Customer Question

Model HLP23E Haier top load washer. Suddenly receiving E1 error code. Washer drains slowly and makes a rattling noise when spinning.
Code E1 says to clean drain of foreign material, but not much to see after removing back of machine. I had machine on its side. Upon standing it upright, problem wasn't as bad, but its still there. Could be a button or a small screw sounds like making the noise, but how do I get at it for removal? Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Robert : Hello.
Robert : Did you look for the pump on the bottom of the tub?
Robert : That is where the noise is most likely coming from. You would need to pull the pump and clean out any debris in that area to cure the noise.
Robert : The pump is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN You can go to www.repairclinic.com and enter that number to pull up a picture of the pump to use for reference.
Robert : You sound like you are pretty handy so this should be an easy task for you. If you do not find any debris in the pump housing then you may want to replace the pump itself.
Customer:

That little box thing ? yeah I saw it. How do I pull it out?

Robert : In most cases there are a couple of screws on it that hold it to the tub. Your unit may have a plastic cl holding it. I do not have access to the diagram on this particular unit to know for sure.
Customer:

it is sooo compact in there. Don't know if my hands will fit .....John

Robert : I am looking for additional info right now.
Customer:

ok thanks. Would you recommend turning the entire machine upside down to get at the pump?

Robert : You could lay it on its side but I wouldn't flip it.
Customer:

Tried laying it on its side already. I had the idea with the pump, but can't seem to see where pump is connected

Robert :

Gotcha.

Robert :

I am trying to locate a video or picture of your unit to help us out.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

This one is very compact, lol.

Robert :

On the bottom of the unit: Are there any screws holding an access panel that you can remove?

Robert :

I had just looked at that video.

Customer:

Not funny really. My wife is upset.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

I wasn't laughing at the situation, just the area they give you to work on it. I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Customer:

No offense taken. I kow you're only trying to help

Robert :

Did you see any screws on the bottom of the washer to remove?

Customer:

One needs baby's hands to get in there

Customer:

Didn't look there

Robert :

They state on the Haier service site that there is a back access panel and a lower access panel. I am assuming that they mean a cover on the bottom.

Customer:

Just removed the back panel

Customer:

No cover on the bottom of mine at all

Robert :

So you can see up to where the pump attaches

Customer:

Hardly, everything is crammed

Robert :

Roger that.

Customer:

I'd have to remove hoses & they won't budge even after I've squeezed the clamps

Robert :

They tend to seize up on the plastic. You have to use a pair of pliers/channel locks and a rag(to protect the hose) and twist the hoses a little to get them off.

Customer:

Oh, gently turning? If it leaks after I replace the hoses, I'll be in trouble

Robert :

You don't want to get real rough but you do have to give them a little wiggle with the channel locks to break them loose.

Robert :

They should seal fine once you put them back on and clamp them again..

Customer:

It really sounds like something in the drum the way it rattles, but you think its the pump?

Robert :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWLtkH7e60

Robert :

Watch that video. It is of a similar model. If it makes that noise or one similar than that is in the pump.

Customer:

I'm watching

Robert :

ok

Robert :

Sound similar?

Customer:

Yeah, but all I saw was a hose

Customer:

So is thew prob there?

Robert :

Usually it is something caught in the hose running to the pump that makes the noise. In most cases you can remove the hose and the debris and the unit will be just fine.

Customer:

Really, Maybe I could do that

Customer:

That main hose in the video you think? The one that goes to the pump.

Robert :

Yes. it should go from the tub to the pump. I would take it off and then you can see into the pump and in the hose.

Robert :

Probably a coin in the line.

Customer:

or a button or screw. Maybe make my son look at it , as he's the one who started all this trouble.

Robert :

Understood.

Customer:

Why does it make all of that noise against a rubber hose. Doesn't make sense.

Robert :

If you do need to replace the pump just make sure you save that part number and site I gave you. That is the cheapest I found it online.

Customer:

give me the site again please

Robert :

The impeller on the pump is a hard plastic piece that the pump feeds to. The coin/debris tries to go through the pump but can't. This makes the loud chattering noise and it echoes through the tub because it connects to it.

Customer:

oh

Robert :

www.repairclinic.com

Robert :

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/WD547009/1227046?modelNumber=HLP23E

Robert :

The second one is the direct link to your part.

Robert :

That is the pic of the pump. See the two holes there on the bottom. That is were it probably attaches to your tub.

Customer:

Thanks . I*'ll have to give it a try

Robert :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No. I guess not. That pic looks just like it, without all the other stuff in the way

Robert :

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else in the future!

Customer:

Ok Thanks ~ John

Robert :

No problem.

Robert :

Please click the accept button if I have helped you out today and have a great afternoon!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

Guess what? It was a penny in the pump. I checked the hoses first and no obstruction there. So next I checked the pump. Real easy to get that apart and put back together. I reattached the hoses using Oatey brand CPVC Cement Worked great on two of the three connections I had tro make. However, the one connection I'm still having trouble with is the small end of the hose that goes from the drum to the pump.The wide end of the hose at the drum is solid. Then it continues to the pump. That's where I still have a leak. I almost have it repaired. Any ideas?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I would use a worm gear clamp if you have one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

This is beginning to be more trouble than its worth. I had to go pick up a pkg of clamps yesterday. That worked beautifully, as the hoses are bone dry. Now it seems to be leaking through the pump. UGH!!!

~ John

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Robert,

By now you realize I'm not a plumber or a washing machine repair man. Be that as it may, I have finally fixed our washer. Tonight was the last straw. If not tonight, I was going to chuck it for the garbage man to pick it up. It was fix a leak, a new leak started. Fix that and a third leak started. Almost lost my mind.

Even the clamp gave me grief.

Well its over now and I just wanted to thank you for you're help. My wife says I'm her hero.

Thanks again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Robert,

Everything worked out great. You saved me a few bucks.

Thanks,