Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I bought a used dishwasher and it seems to have the same type

I bought a used dishwasher and it seems to have the same type of "black gunk" problem. This is an older Whirlpool dishwasher. I tried to get the lower spray arm off, but I can't get that little plastic thing in the middle to unscrew all the way out and allow that arm to come out. I would like to get that off and get to the plastic shield (?) that covers the bottom. I think the underneath of that cap is covered with that black stuff and I think the filter is under that that probably needs cleaning out. Is it worth it to go to all this trouble?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, it it not a whirlpool, It is a Maytag, model MDC4000AWX

watch this video, is this how your trying to get the spray arm off ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, no. I did not know that the flat thing had to screw off first. Mine won't turn at all. How can I break it loose?

does yours look just like the one in the video ? if so you will need to get a pair of channel locks and try to get a hold of it to loosen it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

going to go and try that right quick

okay good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

channel locks did not work, but I used a slim knife and got it loose enough to unscrew. Thank you so much!

your very welcome have a great day and thanks, Bryan