Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am looking at a used Kenmore Electric Range Slide in Model

I am looking at a used Kenmore Electric Range Slide in Model C970-440935

What do you think of it?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this particular unit is made by Frigidaire for Sears and sold under the Kenmore name. That being said, I actually this this is one of the less reliable units on the market and the most common issues that fail are the display board as well as burner switches. I suppose it all depends on price, but honestly I wouldn't really consider the oven at all if it's not below $250 just due to the lack in reliability of the oven.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It actually has a board to change under the touch pad. Once repaired how often this board fried out?

Is Kenmore Elite better than Kenmore?

Kenmore Elite is better than the normal Kenmore units, yes. Because most of those are made by LG or Kitchen Aid.

As for the board, I'd say once every 5-10 years it will fail and need to be replaced on this particular model. The part is usually about $150-200 also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you know its in store (sears) price?

Is it still avail in stores or has it been replaced by another model?

This is an older model so I can't give you an exact price unfortunately, but based on this model's options, it would likely be about $1000 since it's a slide in model and those are not that inexpensive most of the time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess you are located in the USA ...

The closest one I have found at Sears.ca is around 2100$

I think that would be a bit overpriced and I may have underpriced it a bit, but prices have gone up in the last 5 years or so. This unit would not have cost more than $1500. Below is a like model that is now sold today for about $1500.

http://www.sears.com/frigidaire-30-in-self-clean-slide-in-electric-range/p-02243333000P

aye, I was mistaken then. I didn't see that the model you were looking at had convection. So yes that option does add quite a bit to the cost of the model and would likely mean it costs about $1800-2100 new.
It's the upper end GE oven slide in gas range. This is one of the better ones to choose and in fact is the one that I recommend when looking in this price range for a slide in gas oven. Used appliances don't tend to have a great resale and this one new cost more than the Kenmore one you were asking about before, but if you could get it for less than $1400-1500 I'd think you got a good deal looking at how good the condition of the oven appears in the pictures.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I like to cook and in my younger years I remember lovin cooking on an old Belanger gas stove.

Is this a propane unit?
Is this a convection oven?

Should I look for a all gas unit?

There is so many technologies ... What is your say on Induction vs Gas vs Electricity vs Hybrid vs wood fire in a sand pit (lol)?

They can be either propane or natural gas, and they can be either convection or not. It depends on what model you get. Induction is good and more efficient than gas, but it costs more and you can't regulate the temperature as easy.