Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have frigidare dual fuel 30inche range FPDS3085KF oven want

Customer Question

I have frigidare dual fuel 30inche range FPDS3085KF oven want heat regularly it may heat once a month an when trying to do self clean it gives an F90 error
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
What is the model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FPDS3085KF

I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this machine?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
The f90 error is usually a door lock error. So if the door is not fully locking in a self clean mode then we can check a few things out to determine what the problem is. As well as the poor temp complaint.

Please just get back to me here when you are ready to go over a few things and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm ready to get started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Tech not online now
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today....The f90 normally indicates a faulty door lock motor assembly..Are you able to use the bake option without the error code showing up..? Or does the error show up only when using the self clean..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The f90 only shows up when tryn to self clean. But the oven want get hot if I do preheat it will beep indicating that the temo has been reached but oven want be hot. Every now an then it will heat
Ok great thanks for that information..From what you are explaining You have a faulty control board,since you are getting the F90 code which indicates a faulty motor assembly normally..First step would be to test the micro switch and the door motor for countinuity..If ok (Which most likely is ok from what you are explaining) Then the ovens control is faulty..First rule out the door motor assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the oven control
That is the problem the control cannot be tested without factory equipment..This is why you must first test the door Motor assembly .The fact that the unit is working sporadically (As you stated it heats once a month tells me the control is faulty).
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Checking the lock motor or switches is not an accurate check for checking voltage to or from the control board or relay board to tell if it is working. The door lock will only be energized when in a self clean cycle for this unit. To tell for sure if the board is sending proper voltage to the bake element you will need to check check voltage to the bake element in a bake cycle.

(Edited by Moderator) I do apologize for the delay, my Internet connection had been down again. The power here lately has been questionable due to hurricane sandy. It is hard to get a good strong connection that doesn't crash all the time due to the damage in the neighborhood. So again, I do apologize for the delay. But just to let you know I have over ten years working on these appliances in both factory and field settings and environments. And I have also helped design and manufacture them. So I know for sure that the test you've been asked to do here for the lock motor switch will not be a conclusive test for your intermittent heating problem of the bake element.

So if you would like more help from me I would delighted and more then happy to help you again. Just get back to me here and I will tell you how to properly check the voltage to the bake element so you can tell for sure of the board is and. Thanks.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
To accurately check the voltage to the bake element you will need to check voltage directly to the bake element. If checking only the lock switch, which in this model has nothing to do with the heating of the bake element in a bake cycle, will be an inconclusive check.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I would hate to see you pay for a control board and install it just to realize it may not fix your problem. I would rather you spend the time to check the machine properly and save time and money in the long run.

Please check voltage to the bake element and if there is no voltage at all check the wiring to and from the bake element to the control. And if the wires are good then replace the board. Don't just assume the board is bad. It would be a costly mistake.
Just a note..I am assuming you have removed the back cover to the unit..If not Unplug the unit..Then remove the back cover..Make sure the wiring leading to the elements is intact (Not Burnt or broken off)..If so From what you are explaining as stated in my previous answer to you..You have a faulty Oven Control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the control board an there is a burnt resistor. So I guess it is the board
Yes that will do it for you..Great job on your Part...!!!!..Most often you will not be able to see a resistor burnt..Not really much more can go wrong ..You stated the element worked sometimes..Which indicates the element is in working order as it will work or not ..There's no in between..Only possibility would have been the wiring or the control itself..Great job..Good Luck on your repair..Thanks Bob