Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Samsung DV218AGBXAA dryer. It wont spin - just hums

I have a Samsung DV218AGBXAA dryer. It won't spin - just hums and shuts off. The belt seems fine.. Any suggestions/

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, are you able to spin the drum easy by hand ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The drum does spin by hand.

okay, This is not great news, it means the start windings in the motor have failed. try this, have someone push the start button while you hold the door switch in and spin the drum by hand, the motor may have a dead spot, if that doesn't work you need to replace the motor,. you can order the motor @ thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian - I have already been "told" that the motor probably needs replacement. IS that all you have?

did you try spinning the drum to see if it starts ? I wish there was something else I could tell you was wrong. theres really nothing else that would cause that symptom. if you spin the drum while holding the door switch in and the start switch and it starts sometimes that will take care of it until it stops on that same dead spot. if it doesn't start the motors bad. sorry, thanks , Bryan