Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I purchased a samsung dishwasher DMR78 series in 2010. It

I purchased a samsung dishwasher DMR78 series in 2010. It is making a crunching/grinding noise at various points throughout a cycle. For example, just ran through a 38 minute quick cycle with no dishes inside it. When it first starts up the noise starts immediately and last for about 15 seconds. At the 32 minute mark it starts again for a couple seconds, at 22min starts again for a brief second, at 21min again for 15 seconds, at 14min for a second, at 13min for 2-3 seconds, machine stops then grinding starts up again for 15 seconds, at 2min for a second, then at 1 min for 15 seconds then cycle is complete. I think it has something to do with the water going in and draining. There is also a god awful stench sometimes.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

you are correct.It is the drain pump that either has something stuck in it (glass maybe) or the impeller on the pump itself is bad. (that happens a lot on these) remove the pump and check it, if you don't find anything in the pump replace it. heres a link to order http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/DD3100005A/1550731?modelNumber=DMR78AHBi hope this helps, thanks , Bryan.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband is very handy, is this something he can repair with common tools?

yes he can. he may have to pull the dish washer out to get to it however,its not to bad a job though. hope this helps, thanks and rating me now doesn't close the question you can still come back later if you have more questions, please rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you,thanks , Bryan