Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kitchen Aid 36" side by side built in model KSSP489MS01 Frig

Kitchen Aid 36" side by side built in model KSSP489MS01 Frig and freezer not really cold, display blinking and light beeping. While waiting for the main board to be shipped the display stopped working all together no beeping. Replaced main board and lights still don't work. Compressor and evaporator fan was working when I turned unit on after changing board. Now compressor comes on but not evaporator. Also had unit unplugged for several hours when I worked on it the first time. HELP!!!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you recheck that model number ? its not comming up.thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay good . which board did you replace ? what the part number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where did you get the board ? is it a retrofit ? or rebuilt ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

rebuild, on ebay

there are 3 boards and the electronic control (where you set the temp) the fans and electronic control are powered by this board. you should get 12 volts out of this to run the fans and the lights in the control. test that for voltage. its right near the one you changed. number 31 on this diagram. also test for 120 volts comming off the board you changed to this board. you should get 120 volts . if you do that board is bad. sears has that in stock at this link. l-KSSP36QMS01/0593/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=W0410083&diagramPageId=00013&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=KSSP36QMS01&subCompDesc=Upper%20unit%20parts&brandDesc=KITCHENAID&modelDesc=BUILT-IN-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod=KSSP36QMS01

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I have a service manual that I downloaded. Can you tell me what pin to check for what voltage. What is the name of the board you are asking me to check for 12 Volt. Sorry I am a visual person. Very capable but visual. The 12V board looks like its on top of the evaporator. Would it be ok if I checked all voltage at the board I installed?

yes , follow the wires from these points on the board back to the one you replaced. graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. The frig is in a different location. Will be a little while before I can answer you back. I'm on my way now. Let you know. Brian

okay good luck, talk later , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, Checked voltage is 120V and 25V. Checked all connections to everything I had touched. Strange part is the compressor and evaporator fan worked yesterday with old board. Today not so much. With either board( new or old)

so the compressor has stopped now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I don't think so. I'm almost positive compressor still working though not all the time
okay, there are a few things that can cause that,unfortunately it could be the power inverter or the touch control. these are expensive parts and I hate to see you spend money when its difficult to determine which. my guess would be at the point the inverter but theres no real way to test it. I really don't know where to tell you to go from here accept a tech.for the cost its the best way to go at this point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why do I have 25v instead of 12v at the board. And I found out last night the display (control board ) was blinking on and off for weeks before it went blank. Does that help?
okay , your getting the correct power into the board ? and 25 volts out ? thats wrong. it means overb voltage which may have burned out the display. sorry i misread your voltage. had to go back and look again at the posts. sounds like the voltage board is bad. (if your sure of the 25 volts) all you can do at this point is replace the board and pray the control isnt burnt out. heres a link to the board. hopefully the display board control is okay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The voltage board is what I checked yesterday? The board you sent me a picture of? is this available at Sears or do I have to order from Sears direct. I don't mind replacing the board not a problem but at that point if It still doesn't work would it be the display board? If so Can you also send me a link for that?
I don't believe Sears stores would have that in stock, yes its the one you checked yesterday. this the display board. if replacing the power board doesn't make the display come on check the voltage after you replace the board and make sure its 12 volts.if it is then the display board has burned up. heres a link to that, I really wish i could give you a definitive answer ,sorry. best wishes and thanks. Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last question today I promise. I'm looking on the servicing wiring sheet it says electronic control display is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN The display part number that you gave me is that the new part number. Just want to make sure before I track it down and buy it. Thanks for your help Brian hope I have this cleared up today or tomorrow
Electronic display board

(The manufacturer has replaced part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwith this item, part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN)

(Manufacturer part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNis RepairClinic item number(NNN) NNN-NNNN)

hope that helps. Smile, best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just an FYI. Found the parts locally and changed both boards. Unit works great. Really appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

thats great ! well wises and thanks, Bryan