Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We just purchased a ge microwave model peb2060dm2ww, and we

We just purchased a ge microwave model peb2060dm2ww, and we are having trouble with the door opening and closing. Do you have any suggestions other than get it to a repair center?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Is this brand new ? what is happening when you try to open the door ? does it stick and not open or feel like the button is broken ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The door does not latch securly, the top often fains to connect with the microswitch and the unit will not turn on.

when opening the door, there is only a single location on the latch button that will open the door, and it must by pushed sharply for operation.

As of today, the door switch is starting to stick, and not return to the full out position. I would guess the two problems are related?

yes they are. you didn't mention if this was brand new and under warranty. is it? whats happening is the door release # XXXXX inside the control panel has a plastic pin that breaks. I've put an arrow to it in this diagram. graphic If this is under warranty you need to call for service. let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sure its under warrenty. Its only 3 weeks old.

when I push the latch with the door open,I can see that there is a push lever that comes up to force the door latch open. It doesn't always come up very far, and it drops after a short time (less than a second). Is this consistent with the pin being broken?

yes it is. one side of the latch part has a broken pin and as you push it slips back and the part drops back down. i would call for service. Its not an expensive part but you shouldn't have to replace that yourself. its a cheap design unfortunately. hope this info helped, thanks , Bryan