Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

GSS25SGMDBS GE Refrigerator, My everapator fan in the freezer

Customer Question

GSS25SGMDBS GE Refrigerator, My everapator fan in the freezer is not running. I have replaced the fan motor and also the mother board and defrost element to no avail. What wires/colors can I test to find where the proper voltage is not coming from? Can I also just jump the correct wires to make the fan work?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

have you checked the door light switch ? the fan stops when the door is opened if the switch is bad it may not be sending the power to the fan when the door is shut. heres a link to show you how to test that. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Light-Switch/WR23X10179/879792?modelNumber=GSS25SGMDBS let me know if its good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The switch appears to be fine. With the door open I can push it and the light go's out. Should I remove it and test it ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes because this is a two way switch. it may not be connecting in the closed position. follow the video and test it out of the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just tested the switch with it removed.. Common to center post 0 ohms

when not depressed. When depressed Common to center Open and the other pen 0 ohms. Appears to be ok!

What next ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, everything else is running correct ? the compressor the fan in the back next to the compressor ? the only thing not running is the evaporator fan ?give me a few minutes to bring up the wiring/.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor is running fine.. I haven't heard the fan next to the compressor run though.. But the freezer is nice and cold..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmm, you havent seen the condenser fan running either ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not lately.. Should it run all of the time ? If it is running it is very quiet :)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay you may just not hear it, their very quite. now to test the voltage on the evaporator fan, go between white and red, (put your meter on dc) you should get 12 volts dc. then test from white to yellow and you should get the same 12 volts dc. or close to that. it may be like 11.5 volts. if your not getting voltage you received a bad board. this happens. let me know, thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

13.36 vdc on the white and red. Zero on the white and yellow..

Would be it ok to just tie the yellow and red together and let the fan run that way ??

If you can give me the pin connectors on the Mboard I can check them there also..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
try testing the white and yellow again with the door switch pressed in. see if you get voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Zero on white and yellow with door switch taped in the depressed position sir..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you should get voltage on both.you have a bad board,. this is not uncommon on these boards, I've received many like that. where did you buy the board? will they exchange it ? You need to get a new board. sorry. sometimes this happens on these, G.E. has had a lot of trouble with that. hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok can we keep this troubleshoot open until I get another board ? Should be the middle of next week !!

Thanks very much !!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sure I'll be here. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question before I get my replacement board. Is there a known problem with the possibility of the yellow fan wire shorting out at the connector ? Should I test it to ground or can you give me the pin location on the board to test if from there to the connector in the freezer ?

Thanks, Len

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats not a usual problem. its pin number 5 on the J2 connector on the board
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

New Board installed.. Working like a champ.. Thank you Bryan for your excellent direction..

Lennie Core

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian, With a temp gauge, the freezer is getting down to about -5 but the frige side is almsot 50 :( I stuck my finger in the little flap at the top of the freezer that go's to the frige side and pushed it open.. In about 15 seconds it closed. I could hear a little motor running.. then I pushed it open again.. It appears to be staying open right now... Could it have been stuck ? Fan is running great..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

It may have been stuck.let it run over night and see if its better. I'm hoping you don't need the damper assembly. it may have just built up some ice and froze. keep your fingers crossed and let me know.thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I let it run for a few mins and increased both the freezer and frig temps to a #7. Compressor kicked in. Went back abut 15mins later and the damper was closed again.. refrig temp 47.. Do you think it's a bad damper at this point ?

Is it safe to just prop it open with a screw driver until I get a new own ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah you can prop it open for now. I'm wondering though. this damper doesn't come with the thermistor and I would replace them first (much cheaper) and unplug the damper and ope it by hand about a quarter of the way. I would replace the thermistors before the damper .that may be all thats wrong at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would it be better for me to just unplug and remove the damper till I get the part ? Do you have a part # XXXXX the thermistor ?

Tks-- Lennie

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no if you do that everything in the refrigerator will freeze, here a link to the thermistor, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/WR55X10025/914093?modelNumber=GSS25SGMDBS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I test the thermistor ? I can spray it with freon. Will it be open or closed when I cool it down ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah that should work but it wont be accurate as far as temp goes. I mean the damper should close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well Darn, Looks like Im loosing ground :( The frige and freezer are empty and I let it run overnight. This morning the frig is about 45 and the freezer is at 18. Freezer set to #7 and Frig #7. Any ideas ? Thanks- Lennie

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
is the panel inside the freezer (back wall) on ? You didn't leave that off after checking things did you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's on.. There is a 2 inch gap at the bottom though, I can see the drain hole.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats normal , how much did you prop the damper open ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was open about 1/4th of the way this morning. I think it may be working. When I put the new board in the freezer got down to -5 in about 3 hours.. Now staying right at 18+

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
is there frost in the freezer on the back wall ? boy this thing is becoming a nightmare.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope no frost at all and the compressor is not running all of the time.

I agree on the nightmare :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just checked it again, the compressor is running and the temp in the freezer is about -8. The fan in the freezer is running. The damper is closed.. No frost.

Shouldn't it maintain zero in the freezer ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay change the thermistors, that has to be the issue, there are four total I think 2 freezer and two refrigerator sections. heres a link to all the diagrams and parts. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-GSS25SGMDBS/0432/0165000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=GSS25SGMDBS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have installed a new fan in the freezer. Do I need to change that thermistor?

I will get and change the one on the damper today.

I can't locate another in the refrig side?

Or another on the freezer side :(

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no the one on the fan is good, there are a few more I would change though. this seems to be a thermistor issue at this point, they sense the temps. the other one in the refrigerator side is # XXXXX on this diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Brian, where in the world is #241 located inside of the frig ?

How do I get to it ?

Tks, Lennie

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure on your to be honest, they are all different and the diagram doesn't help much but look on the back wall near the shelf supports and also look for an oval shaped vent cover. sorry thats all I can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Brian,

I found this video.. Looks pretty easy..

In the video they say the one in the freezer is common to failure. So I'll do that one and the one on the damper.. My question is:

You gave me part # XXXXX for the one on the damper.

I'll get one of those today and replace it. I will also get the one in tfreezer at the top of the coils shown in the video. Can you confirm for me that it should be part # XXXXX listed as Temperature Sensor in the parts list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Z_oOMFXGk

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
those two sensors a actually the same sensors. it doesn't matter which ones you order . they change the part numbers a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your the expert. My thinking though is the one on the damper would be for around 30 degrees where the one in the freezer would be closer to zero degrese ? Pls confirm

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
its not really what the sensor senses, the board is what tells the damper to open and close.the sensor just senses temp it not temp specific.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see.. Ok looks like they will both be WR55X10025 I see that's listed as the substitute for either.. I'll get 2 of them today and let you know..

Thanks for being patient with me..

Let ya know later today.. Again, Thank you!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , I have to go out for a bit. let me know later if you can , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Just replaced the one ontop of the coils in the freezer. (My local service place only had one) Plugged it back in and the compressor is running. It's about 30degreese in the freezer now. I do notice the fan is not running in the freezer.. Is that any indication to you ?

Is there a sequence of buttons or something to reset the computer boad to factory defaults or something ??

I figure within an hour or so the fan should start working?

If that dosen't work, Can I Use the one I took out of the freezer to replace the one one the Damper? It's very easy to get to.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I was out, I need to go back out again shortly, is the fan running yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it is running but not very fast like it used to..

Does the board increase and decrease the speed?

I ohmed the thermistor I took out.. at room temp about 6.15k In a glass of ice water 14.31k

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thermistor seems okay. yes the board controls the speed. you have changed that board twice so I doubt you received two bad boards. when you installed the board did you have to cut the wire like it says in the instructions ? did you check your serial number to see if it needed to be cut ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Serial number didn't correspond to the ones that needed to be cut..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmmm okay. Wow can we continue in a bit ? I need to go off line in a few minutes but will be back. I am going to consult a tech friend of mine in the meantime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok My Bad.. The instructions say.. NOTE: this step is only applicable for the following models:

All Bottom Freezer Models (Mine is a side by side)

My Serial Number is: VD24342

Encoder models with the following serial number prefixes: TD2, VD2, ZD2, and so on..

So since mine is VD24342 Do I cut the wire on Pin 2 of the nine pin connector ??

Since I have not.. Have I possibly damaged the boadr??

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes ! okay we are getting somewhere ! you didn't damage the board i don't believe, cut the wire and let me know later if that does it . I'm fairly sure it will ! Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wire cut.. Within about 15 mins of running time the freezer has dropped from 40 to 32.. Freezer fan is running like it should.. I can also feel cold air coming thru the damper.. Yipppiee..

Our other frige is almost dead.. So we really need this one going.

When I initially put the board in, on the back of the frig all over the place are the letters SRS I assumed that was the prefix.. If you haden't alerted me to the jumper I would have never looked inside at the actual serial number.. Hopefully this is the remedy :) I really appreciate your help Brian.. I know all about troubleshooting. I owned and electronic repair shop for 22 years.. We did TV, Vcr, Satellite, commercial audio.. Not frig's or freezers.. I'll post back in a couple hours..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , I think your all set. I'm sorry I didn't think of that but you seem to know what your doing so I just assumed you did cut the wire. I'm just happy we are closer and I believe that your all set. well wishes and thanks. let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Been checking it about every 20mins.. Got down to 5.. Grrrr Now it's at 40 degree in the freezer. No fan running. :(

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Wow , geez, I'm going to send this over to Barry, he's real good with G.E. lets see what he thinks. thanks , Bryan
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I am with you here, let me get through everything you have done here so I will know where to start. Keep in mind I will be looking at diagrams and documents, please be patient.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I have one question. If you open the fresh food door and hold the light switch off for a minute with your hand can you feel air coming from the damper vent after that amount of time?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry, nice to have you aboard.. The freezer is now at about 5deg.

I did your requested test for 1 min. I do Not feel any cool air coming thru the damper. FYI I have Not changed the thermistor in the frig to the damper.

During the test the fan in the freezer was running.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi its nice to meet you, I am very sorry you are having such a hard time. I personally think GE, when it comes to this style refrigerator are the best.

Try this overnight, remove the cover for the damper. There are 2 screws there. Prop that damper open a little with a pen or whatever you have available and see if the fresh food side does in fact get cold. That will tell us where to look next.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just went to do as you said and low and belold, holding the light switch in the fresh food section (prior to removing the cover of the damper). I felt cold air blowing.. After about 60 seconds I heard the damper close but only for a few seconds and then it opened up again and it's still blowing cold air.. The freezer is at about 3deg now.

Earlier it got down to 5deg and then shot back up to almost 40 in about 30mins time.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok do this then. Tape the door light switch off, I know it sounds silly, trust me. Just tape it and see if the temperature starts dropping in the fresh food section.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have it taped off and a pen stuck in the damper. It's about 40deg in there now.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it should drop to about 37 and shut off.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fyi, I have both set to #6

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, that should be fine. I have a feeling I know whats going on but lets see. I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As of 7:25 am the frig is at 33deg and the freezer at +2deg. Fan was not running but just kicked in about 1 min ago.. I had the damper propped open over 1/2way.. Switch on refrig is still taped. Bad Switch ? or intermittent?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir I think its a bad door switch....let me look at the diagrams again a minute.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the panel below the doors, swing your door open and closed so you can see the hinge point. That hex nut will screw the door upwards. Screw it upwards so it hits the switch deeper. If you have doubts put it all together and tape the door light switch off. Watch it will work.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So Blined I cant see past my nose :) All along the refrig door has been almost 1/2" lower than the freezer door.. daugh, I have removed the tape and adjusted the top hing and the bottom nut and they are almost equal at this point.. Took the pen out of the damper. Thermometer is in the frig section now. I'll give it a couple hours. I changed the frig setting to 5.

All in all, the frig light was going off (from what I could see) But it must have been on the very edge and coming on without my knowledge..

Thanks Bunches Barry!! I'll let you know in a couple hours then we hope to transfer food from our old one to this one.. FYI this one is empty.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. thank you for your patience. Its usually not so tough, I am glad its working. I personally am a fan of GE refrigerators so if it ever happens again in the future you need help ask for Bryan or me or anyone and we will get you there.

Take the best of care,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last check, frig was at 35 on a setting of #2, Freezer fluxuates (sp) between 10 and -5.. I went ahead and changed out the thermistor inside the frig.. (the one that is part of the damper assembly).

Just transfered all of our food stuff to this one.. Still keeping the old one Empty and plugged in for a day or so just incase..

I do notice there is low water pressure in the water dispenser.. I just ordered a new filter. Probably has never been changed.

Brian & Barry, I wish to thank you so VERY Much for your expert troubleshooting skills.. And for most of all, being patient with me..

I'll post back in a day or so or if anything else happens with this thing.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to you both,.

Lennie Core

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You take care Lennie and thank you.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im considering it a done deal.. Freezer stays mostly at zero and the frig at 35.. Im a happy Camper.. Again fellows, THANK YOU

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great news Lennie, you and your family have a good Thanksgiving.

Barry