Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My 5 year old Dryer Whirlpool Cabrio Mod # XXXXX has been

My 5 year old Dryer Whirlpool Cabrio Mod # XXXXX has been making loud screaching and clunking noises. Today I tried turning the drum manually to see if something is stuck-but now it shows that the power is on but nothing is happening inside. It has totally stopped working with exception to power. What should I do? Do I need a service person our here to fix it or get a new dryer? Please help.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good morning, let me pull up your model and I will be right back, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

great thank you!

okay, the clunking and screeching noise is most likely the drum support wheels, these are what the drum ride on. as far as not starting it probably blew the thermal fuse. when these wheels go it puts a strain on the motor which in turn draws to many amps and will blow the thermal fuse. how long has this been making noise ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a couple of weeks

okay, what I suggest is do a tuneup on this dryer using this kit. Maintenance Kit(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewif you feel you can do this, heres a link to the kit and a basic video on how to replace these. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Maintenance-Kit/4392065/587636?modelNumber=WGD6400SW0#repairHelpVideoTabs as far as the thermal; fuse goes do you have a muntimeter and know how to check continuity ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh my goodness-this seems like a lot. I don't have a muntimeter and I don't know how to check continuity. I will check out the video and see if it is something I can do on my own-it seems complicated though.

theres another thing that may have happened as far as not starting, after going over the diagrams I found that this machine also has a belt switch which if the belt breaks (which may have happened) the machine will not start, its a safety. I'm leaning more towards that right now. you can get away without a multimeter if you don't have one, first let me know if you think you can take this apart. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to check out the video to make the determination. I have to get the kids to school right now. But I will let you know later....thank you for your help!!

okay thanks. Bryan