Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator M # XXXXX that has lost

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator M # XXXXX that has lost it's cooling overnight. The freezer is completely thawed and the refrigerator is only slightly cool. The lights are on when the door opens and the fans run, just there is no cooling.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning.can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and go behind it and listen down near the compressor and tell me if you hear a clicking or buzzing comming from there about every 3-5 minutes ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a click then about 3 minutes later another click with a slightly louder buzzing for about five seconds followed by a second click.

okay, this means the compressor relay has failed. unplug the refrigerator and pull the relay cover.then the brown rely pulls off. take it off and shake it. if it rattles its can order a new relay @ you can replace this yourself and it comes with instructions.hope this helps, thanks , Bryan