Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have LG Steam Dryer DLEX7177WM. Recently put in a professional

I have LG Steam Dryer DLEX7177WM. Recently put in a professional 'roof vent' filter/vent system. Prior to putting this in and now with it in, my clothes are NOT drying and machine shuts off. It heats up like a champ, but is not drying clothes. I have cleaned filter in dryer and vent that runs from dryer to roof vent. I have taken a long brush to the inside 'filter opening' (after removing the filer) and gotten a lot of lent out from there. Have also taken vaccum hose and gone down in this to get more. I have 2 problems:

1.) Clothes not drying/dryer turning off while clothes still wet;
2.) When I remove/clean the filer located in the dryer, the lent is now only accumulating on the left side of the filter wherein prior - the entire filter would be encompassed with lint.

NOTE: I do clean lint trap in drying and trap for roof vent after each use. Thanks in advance for any help you can be.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay does this happen in both timed dry and auto dry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it doesn't matter what setting or if I use time dry.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Does it go the whole cycle and still come out wet or does it stop sooner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, sometimes it just stops after 15 min. and again...doesn't matter which setting I use...timed or standard.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.

Okay when it stops do you have to wait about 10 minutes to restart it or does it start back up right away? Also, can you get access to the back of the dryer (where the vent hooks up) easily?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts right back up with no issue there. It heats up like a champ too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can easily access the back of the dryer where vent hooks up.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, does it have good air flow coming out of the back of the dryer? Should be able to hold your hand over the back of the dryer vent (but don't cover the vent) and it should have good flow. The air temperature coming out of the back of the dryer should cycle from about 125 to 165 degrees. It will go up to about 165 and then back down to about 125 and then back up to 165 so on and so forth.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
If you don't have a thermostat you can use your hand and you will feel the temperature going up and down. The high temp will feel pretty warm but should not get so hot that you can't hold your hand there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if you received my last response. Do you want me to remove the vent tube from dryer and check temp there or the 'vent' that is attached to backside of the dryer? Sorry for my confusion.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the confusion, that was alot I sent. Go ahead and pull out the dryer from the wall. Take off the vent hose from where it goes in to the dryer and check the air flow and temp right there at the back of the dryer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks much. There is a nice/strong flow of heat. When I looked closer, it appears the vent is not (was not) tightly sealed to the vent portion that connects to the roof vent. Possible this is the issue? Again...this was happening well before I put the roof vent in. Thanks.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, here is what appears to have happen as I see it now that you stated that. First your original problem was that you had a fairly clogged vent hence all the lint when you originally cleaned it out. Then when you installed the new vent if you didn't get it tightly sealed you are not allowing all the humid air to vent out properly and hence the wet clothes and excess lint in the lint trap. With me so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood...makes sense. I should have someone come out and make sure I thoroughly cleaned the vent and have them reattach it properly. Your thoughts? (Randy, I thank you very much for your help on this. I will rate you high)
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, especially where it goes directly through the roof. That is the usual place for the vent line to come detached. There is a great way to test the dryer to make sure it is working correct. It will cause your laundry room to get a little hot and may get some lint but go ahead and keep the vent line off of the dryer and keep it pulled away from the wall and run the dryer to see if it now dries properly. Basically let it vent right in to your laundry room. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Randy, I am not able to write review and therefore 'accept answer'. What am I doing wrong?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Just go ahead and click on the green accept box that I sent you and you can go from there.