rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
15347769

My kenmore 70 series gas dryer will spin and briefly heat.

My kenmore 70 series gas dryer will spin and briefly heat. then the heat shuts off but the drum continues to spin until i manually shut it off. Would this be a timer issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 1 year ago.

rob clement :

Hi,it is doubtful the timer is bad,Have you tried running it with the vent off? The most likely cause is either a clogged vent or the coil valve is bad.Please keep in mind,I am not there and need your input to correctly diagnose your problem.

Customer:

I havent tried running it without the vent attached.

rob clement :

Give that a try and see if it burns properly then.Let me know what happens.

Customer:

ok. how long should i let it run?

Customer:

Is it safe to operate while the rear access cover is off?

rob clement :

5 minuets or so.If it is burning properly it should burn for 3 min or so before the burner shuts off.

rob clement :

All I need you to do is disconnect the vent

Customer:

ok.... running it right now...

rob clement :

ok,I will be right here

Customer:

it appears that the burner has shut off

rob clement :

right away just like before?

Customer:

i could see the flame for about 3 minutes and then it appeared to shut off and now has re ignited

rob clement :

Good,that is what it is supposed to do so far.Is it still running?

Customer:

yes

rob clement :

It should have relit and shut off a few times by now,has it done that?

Customer:

it has cycled on and off twice since i started it. It appears that the burner has shut off again

rob clement :

So far so good,let it keep running for a bit.Where you are is the weather warm,cool or cold.

Customer:

now i am getting relatively cool exhaust air out of the vent. burner has not re-ignited. Weather is cold. mid to upper 30's

rob clement :

It sounds like the coil valve,the 2 coils on the gas valve are bad.Do you have a test meter?

Customer:

yes.

rob clement :

great,since you have cleaned it i am assuming you know how to get into it ,unplug it and get to the 2 black coils on the gas valve.remove those and unplug them.you will need to ohm out the coils.Give me a second and i will post the readings to look for.

Customer:

ok. I am trying to locate the gas valve....I may have to remove another cover.

rob clement :

1 coil has 3 terminals,the number 1 terminal is the left one,then 2 then 3.from 1 -3 should be 550 ohm.

rob clement :

1 and 2 should be 1350 ohms

rob clement :

2 and 3 should be 1900 ohms

rob clement :

on the second coil 1-2 should be 1300 ohms.

rob clement :

If any reading varies by more than 5% or so replace the coils and you should be fine,otherwise let me know

Customer:

ok. Any idea where the gas valve would be on my dryer? it looks like my flex is connected to a hard pipe that goes under the drum

rob clement :

what is the model number so I can look at the diagram for your dryer

Customer:

its a kenmore 70 series. still looking for a specific model number

rob clement :

should be around the door opening

Customer:

110.76732500

rob clement :

ok give me a sec to look at this

rob clement :

I don't see a clear picture,is your front of the dryer 1 piece or 2?

Customer:

it is one piece not including the door.

rob clement :

pull out the lint screen,remove the 2 screws,grab the top at the front and pull towards you and raise the top.

Customer:

ok

rob clement :

On the front coming in from the inside are 2 more screws

rob clement :

that hold the front on.it sits on clips at the bottom,just pop it upwards off the clips.Be careful of the wires for the door switch

Customer:

ok

rob clement :

The coils sit on the gas valve on the right side,just ohm them out

Customer:

ok....

rob clement :

If you run into a problem,Ill be right here

Customer:

cool

Customer:

ill test and let u know

rob clement :

Ok

Customer:

on the 3 terminal coil: 1-2 O.L, 2-3 1976 ohms; 1-3 565 ohms

Customer:

2 terminal coil: 1-2 1314 ohms

Customer:

when i measure 1-2 on the 3 term, I get a resistance reading for a second and then it reads open or OL

rob clement :

That is the booster coil.You need to replace the coils,part number 279834.If you have a local appliance store they should stock it for around $ 25- 30.

Customer:

great! i'll try that. I can get a normal resistance reading between 1 and 2, but it doesnt seem consistant.

rob clement :

Those coils are the most failed part for your symptoms after a vent problem.While you are at it I would also take the time to clean the vent going outside.That is the cause of a large number of house fires that most people pay no attention to,me included

Customer:

ha.... I will try that. I really appreciate your help man. You are doing a great thing in saving people money on service calls. Maybe I'll try to get on just ask. I am an electrician and rarely deal with machines from a component standpoint. thanks again.

Customer:

i mean just answer

Customer:

one more thing...do i have to be concerned with any seals or anything or are the coils isolated from the gas?

rob clement :

no,gas will not leak from there

Customer:

ok thanks.

rob clement :

No problem,please do not forget to rate me,be it good or bad

Customer:

it will be an excellent rating. thanks again for your help.

rob clement :

if you run into any problems just return here and ask me

Customer:

ok, i appreciate it.

rob clement :

thank you

rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.