Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am installing a new sensor lock on my Whirlpool Gold GJP85802.

Customer Question

I am installing a new sensor lock on my Whirlpool Gold GJP85802. The blue wires are intact and plug into the side with 3 slots(prongs). The red wires were burnt off and I have replaced the joint couplers but I need to know which red wire goes into which slot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It doesn't matter which red wire goes to which slot. There should only be two slots and the 2 red wires should be reversable for that sensor so you can wire them up either way.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks that worked! I have another question. The oven is not heating up to the right temperature. I have replaced the oven sensor but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. What else would I look for now?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you see the bake element glowing when you turn the oven to bake? And what do you mean "the right temperature" exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The oven heats up - I have put an oven thermometer in there to monitor - but it doesn't reach the temperature that it is set to. For example, setting it to 375 but it only reaches about 250.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so is your bake element visible on the floor? If so and you turn the unit to bake, does it glow red within 5 minutes? Try the broil setting next. Does the broiler glow orange within 5 minutes when you set it to broil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no bake element on the floor - so no glowing. The broil element does glow orange in less than 5 minutes.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok so to me it sounds like your bake element has failed most likely. The element is going to be located below the floor since the element can't be seen by opening the door. To access the element, you'd need to uninstall the entire oven and remove the right side panel to pull the element out and check continuity of the element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say "uninstall the entire oven", that sounds intimidating to an amateur. Is this something that you would suggest I attempt or will I require expert help (on site that is)?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I would probably call an appliance technician to come out and check the element if you don't have a multimeter or it sounds a bit over your head.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I will google the topic in the morning and see what's involved. I do have a multimeter and if the rest of the oven is as straightforward as what I've dealt with so far, I should be ok.

I appreciate your prompt responses and great advice. Thank you. Have a great evening.

Janet

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and good luck to you.