Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

I have an LG front load dryer, model number DLE2101W. When

Customer Question

I have an LG front load dryer, model number DLE2101W. When I push the power button, I see the "check filter" light in red. I then push the start button, and it shuts off (It does this no matter what setting I select. I have checked the filter, the line from the dryer outside, unplugged machine for a few minutes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Unplug the dryer for 2 minutes, then plug back in. At the same time, unhook the dryer vent form the dryer. After plugging it back in, run the dryer and see if the issue comes back. If not, then your house vent is clogged somewhere between the dryer and the outlet of the house. The best way to clear this vent is to stick a leaf blower into the dryer vent and turn it on to blower thru the house vent toward the outside. If there is a clog, it will be blown out the other end, or get jammed at the outlet vent. After running the blower check the outlet vent to see if clear, or clear it out. Then reconnect the dryer vent to dryer, and try it again to see if check filter light comes back. If you find this information helpful, please give me a great rating. If not, please respond back for more information....thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, did all of the above multiple times before posting. Definitly not a clog. wife just informed me that the "check filter" is always on for a reminder.

Still, problem is we press the power button... powers up instantly like always... Choose setting, does not matter which setting we choose .... push start and within a second it turns off.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is not something I have delt with before. I will put yur question back at the top of list. Another expert should be with you shortly. I thought that I knew the answer to this one, but you werw a step ahead of me....Smile,,,good luck
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized lg service tech and I can help you today if you still need it?

Yes, the filter status light or lint screen light will always stay lit as a remainder. But if the dryer is just starting then shutting off immediately then that is not supposed to happen. And is most likely and issue with one of the thermostats or fuses.

So when you are ready to go over a few things please get back to me here and I will help you diagnose the problem with the machine. The guide you to the best place to order the parts, should you need them, and finally tell you how to install the parts to fix the problem.

So please get back to me here when you are ready and I will get and email letting me know you have posted back to me and are ready and I will get back to you quickly.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, hope you can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jon, first time that I've done this just answer deal. Not sure what happens next. Did you have any ideas about me ordeal? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Indeed we are waiting for an answer. we paid 20 dollors for 1 person to tell us he has no idea, and the other guy has yet to reply. So again..we have a LG dryer 2101....2 years old.

problem is we press the power button... powers up instantly like always... Choose setting, does not matter which setting we choose .... push start and within a second it turns off. Thanks Rachel...

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

I am sorry for the delay I have been dealing with hurricane Sandy and have been with out power for days. And the only time I get online is when I leave my home since we are with out power and Internet connection.

If you are still interested in figuring out the problem with your machine I am here for you to help.

It seems as if there is either a problem with the thermostats on the machine or the main control board is failing.

So please first un plug the machine for five minutes then plug back in and hit and hold the start pause button for ten seconds then let go and try it again. If it is not working after that then we will need to check a few things out. And we will need to check with an ac volt meter. And one with continuity check would be best as well. So if you have that we can proceed. And if you don't there is a few checks we can do as well so when you are ready please get back to me here and I will help you check it.

Thanks. Hope to hear back from you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear about that. Were here in tampa and know hurricanes very well. Hope you guys are ok and get back to normal soon.

Tried the above situation, did not work. I have an ac volt reader ready for whats next. Thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
We are all ok. I wish I could say the same for some of the other people around here. We'll all get through I guess. What I would like for you guys to check first is a physical check of the belt and switch. To do so first please remove the screws of the top panel in the back of the machine. There is two or four screws on the top back panel of the machine. So pull the dryer out a bit to access the screws and remove them then remove the top panel by pushing the top panel towards the back about an inch or so then pull it off. With the top panel off the machine you will see the belt around the drum. If you don't that is the problem. If you do, please give a pull or tug on it. Try to lift it up. Ad if you can lift it up that means that it has snapped. And on your machine there is a belt switch which is activated by the tension of the belt around the drum. No if the belt tension is loosened then the belt switch will be deactivated and will kill power to the machine and cause it to stop running. So if the belt is loose let me know and I will have you check the switch. If not we can proceed to check the thermostats on the heating circuit. Most will only cut off the heat but the thermostat will kill all power to the machine. So lets first check that one. To do so here remove the front panel of the dryer. So first open the door ad remove the two lower screws around the door opening. Then close the door and remove the two screws on the control board housing. There will be two screws that hold the main control board in place. With those screws off you can remove the control panel from the front panel. But be careful not to remove the board completely from the machine because you don't want to pull the wires out from the board until you take notice of where them belong on the control board. Then remove the board. A d then remove the screws on the top front of the front of the front panel. Sorry to be confusing here. But there should be about four screws on the top front face of the front panel that will have to be removed first to be able to remove the front panel. Then with those screws off please pull the front panel off. Then look under and behind the blower wheel.There will be two thermostats there. The one on the left is the one we need to focus on here. It is the smaller rounder one. With your meter and the machine powered off and unplugged, check the thermostat with continuity. Remove the wires from the thermostat and put the meter on continuity and put one lead on each end of the thermostat and check to see if you have continuity. If you don't. That is the problem. If you have continuity we can move on.So get back to me here and let me know what you have found. And if you need more help we can proceed. I don't want to confuse you with too many checks now. Ad if you have found the problem great, get back to me and let me know if it was the belt switch or thermostat and I will get you part info so you ca order it and install it yourself. Tis way you will save money. And if you feel that I have answered your questions please remember to rate my performance below with a positive rating. And if you have more questions after rating my performance positively you can always come back her and ask any follow up questions that you need to. And I will answer your questions at no additional charge. Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate my performance below. The answer above should have gone through as an answer and not and info request. I apologize for any confusion.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to a video that will show you how to disassemble the dryer. Just focus on the removal of the front panel and the blower housing. No need to remove the door or anything else.

Just copy and paste the link below to your web browser to open and view the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy_ZK5f-WS8

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello again, not the belt, I do have continuity on thermostat. i have the main board off. ready when you are. Thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Great.

And just to be sure that you have checked the thermostat correctly, you did the check with the wires off and checked the thermostat itself, correct? If not, and you checked with the wires connected themYou have checked incorrectly and I t will give you a false reading.

Now, if the thermostat and belt and switch are good then the next switch to check is the door switch. It is the switch at the top of the door. It has one connector and canbe checked inThe same way as the thermostat. If it has continuity then it is good. If not then that is the problem.

Now if the door switch is good then the only other part to cause the machine to stop completely is the main board. And that can not be checked accurately with a meter. So if you checked all of the above and it checks good then the board is bad. And will need to be replaced.

Run tose cheks and get back to me here

Thanks.