Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

After Hurricane Sandy caused a power outage, my GE wprb8050

Customer Question

After Hurricane Sandy caused a power outage, my GE wprb8050 washer will not come on. The circuit breaker has been reset and the outlet for the washer is not the problem. I tested a hair dryer in the outlet and it works fine.

Where are the fuses located in this machine that i can try to replace or has the power surge likely killed the washer. It is approx. 9 yrs old...

thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you have no signs of life at all on the washer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks... no, nothing at all. No lights or other signs of life.

Plugged a hair dryer into the same outlet and it powers on and blows fine. The outlet itself is not the issue.

The washer worked perfectly prior to the power outage, and power surge upon regaining power

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK well unfortunately there are no fuses that will cut out the entire control panel which means that the storm shorted out your main control board. Below is a link to the board you'd need to order and replace for this model to fix your issues. The part is not cheap at about $200 with shipping, but it will need to be replaced as there is nothing else that will cause your symptoms.

CLICK HERE for part

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so that I'm clear... there are no fuses to be replaced here. replacing the main control board is my only option, aside from buying a new machine entirely... correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello..... Not done with my questions...!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, yes. I'm sorry for some reason I never got this repsonse until just now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I see this question is still open and you haven't rated me, is there anything else I can help you with today?