Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

water line broke and water covered bottom of fridge for a second

Customer Question

water line broke and water covered bottom of fridge for a second or two ... now when i plug fridge in i here a clunk sound and see the fan start to turn then quickly turns off or doesnt run ? Sounds like something got wet ? Reads "off" on panel of kenmore elite
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Now because of the water leaking, even if the overload relay doesn't rattle, I'd still replace it before I replaced the compressor because it's only about $50 and the compressor is about $550 to have replaced.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water line came off for a second and i cut off the water quick bot i think the fan motor was drenched ? Have a fan on the back to dry it out but is it possible that the fan motor is out ? And if the little fan motor os out , will that not let the compressor kick on ? Is there any type of reset switch or only unplugging it ? When i do plug it in you can here the icemaker kick on and the fan spurts and spins for a split second then stops ? Thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The fan motor wouldn't cause the compressor to not turn on. So if the fan motor isn't working, that could just be another issue or related to the overload relay being bad. If you have a volt meter, you can test to see if one of the wires going to the relay is getting 120 volts to make sure it's not something else.