Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dishwasher blinking Clean light. I have a 6 yr old Whirlpool

Dishwasher blinking Clean light. I have a 6 yr old Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher (GU2400XTPB6) that will not complete a cycle. I've done the internet research...replaced the heating element, door switch and thermistor and still get the blinking clean light. I reset the control panel (heated dry - normal, x2) and it still stops during the cycle (10-15 minutes in). I've even replace the 80 gal hot water heater elements to be sure the water was hot enough. What's the next logical solution? Control panel or control board?
Submitted: 1 year ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you're on the right track. The error means that the dishwasher doesn't think it's heating. The thermistor would not cause this issue, but the heating element would--and that's been replaced. There are several other things that can cause this issue also.

The most common reasons for this error is because the water coming from your household is just too cold. The dishwasher is expecting 110 degree water to enter your dishwasher, so if your pipes are cold, the water may only come in luke warm. To correct this issue, just run your faucet next to the dishwasher until the water coming out is hot. On another note, make sure the dishwasher is washing with good water pressure. You can put a cup in the upper rack facing upwards and run a cycle to see if it will fill within 10 minutes of starting the cycle. If it doesn't fill with water then you know that the dishwasher isn't producing enough pressure which, in turn, will cause the water to not heat. You'd want to take your pump and motor assembly apart to clean inside if you had a loss of pressure.

The second most common issue is that the door striker at the top of the door way start to bend "up" and won't contact the latch inside the door quite correctly. Just physically bend the latch striker down so that when you shut the door it barely slides over the top of the inner door liner and that will fix that problem if that is your issue.

If you continue to have problems, you could also have a failed component including a faulty heater, control board, or high limit thermostat. The heater has been replaced so you'd need to uninstall your dishwasher, disconnect power and lay it on it's back to check the resistance of the high limit thermostat to confirm it has continuity. If it checks good, then replace the control board because that's the one device you cannot test.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water is hot...lots of steam when I open the door. The water pressure appears good but I will try the upsidedown cup to see if it fills up.

I've already adjusted the door striker a few says ago and that didn't help, either.

I will check thermistat and hope that is the answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
alright. If the high limit thermostat check good and the water pressure is good, that would leave you with a bad control board unfortunately.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.