John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a whirlpool gas dryer does not heat at all

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! Do you hear more than one click when it initially starts? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly the mo. # islgr4634e00 and it starts running immediately

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There is a thermal fuse in your dryer that may be open and not allowing your dryer to heat. This thermal fuse is wired in series with the igniter and is designed to prevent the machine from overheating. This fuse is located in the back of your dryer behind the rear panel. Unplug the dryer and remove the rear panel and set it aside. If you look just to the left of the vent tube that the exhaust hose hooks to, you will see a white, rectangular plastic part with two wires going to it, probably blue wires, that is the thermal fuse. It is number 7 in the diagram below. With the dryer unplugged, remove the wires from the thermal fuse and tape them together so they are making full contact with each other. Plug the dryer back in and see if it will then heat. If it does, the thermal fuse will need to be replaced, but you will also need to determine why it opened. The thermal fuse is pictured below. Let me know what happens after this simple test.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly I replaced the thermo fuse but I dont think thats the problem, The machine will start but does not get hot, I still think its the ignighter as it does not light also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Tak9ing to long.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dave and I will help you with your dryer. Do you have an electrical meter to test voltage or resistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dave I have a meter

Great. With the dryer timer turned on but the dryer not running, place one meter lead on either of the thermal fuse leads and the other lead on a bare metal frame on the dryer or a green ground wire. The meter needs to be set to read 120 volts AC. Don't touch any or the wires or meter lead ends during this process. Let me know what you read.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dave my meter shows 0 across the board, I checked three times.

Okay, now lets check further back. The fuse is good. We need to get to either the red wire on the timer or the red wire on the high limit thermostat. Let me check on location so I can help tell you how to get there. I will be right back.
The thermostat beside the thermal fuse has red or red white wires? They are often 4 wires but the ones we need to check are the thicker wires. Do the same test to a ground and to each terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dave all 4 wires show no open circuit. My reading is 0 across the board on meter

Okay lets do one more test. With the dryer plugged in, go from the black wire on the timer to a ground lead and unless the receptacle on the wall is not wired correctly you should read 120 volts AC. Let me know.
Do you still need help?