Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I replaced the motor on my maytag bottom freezer and the valve

I replaced the motor on my maytag bottom freezer and the valve inlet. I can hear the ice maker working but doesn't seem to be getting water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

.

Thank you for using Pearl.com for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

.

.

The model number should be on the wall of the fridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model number is XXXXX We replaced the motor on the ice maker and the inlet valve. I can hear the ice maker working but doesn't seem to be getting any water.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does your icemaker have a water filter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that I know of.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I didn't think it did, however they made like 11 models of this one, why did you replace the water valve on te unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Initally we thought that be the problem when the ice maker was not working so went ahead and replaced it and the motor on the ice maker.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
So replaced the water valve first?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The fill tube that fills the ice maker itself, have you made sure that it was not blocked up with any ice in the tube?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I didn't. I could take the ice maker off and check it. But it will take a few minutes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes please do that, that is number one reason for the ice maker not to be working, you should be able to shine a flash light and see all the way up the tube.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would that stop the function of the pump because I don't see any water being pumped through the line

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes no water would be pumped at all if there is an ice blockage of any type in the fill tube
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K let me check that. Is there any easier way to check without taking off the ice maker?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the water line on the back of the unit that is going to the icemaker and blow through it, it should blow through it easily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. did that the line looks fine. Ended up taking the ice maker out and found frozen water in the bottom. Do you think the temp was to low in the freezer from being open so long. Maybe I should wait to turn the arm down on the ice maker until it is back to the regular temp.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

The icemaker on this unit will not make ICE until the freezer temps get down to below 10 degrees, then it will cycle for you, is the ice maker just keep cycling or does it stop for a while before continueing to do it again?

.

.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

.

.

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could hear it cycle it seems like it stopped for a short while between cycles

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
This may sound real stupid, did you ever turn the water back on after replacing the water valve?
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we did. I'm wondering if the wiring is bad going to the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
do you have a volt meter to check voltages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I tested it and didn't get a reading. So that's why I'm wondering if it's bad.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
you are getting 120 volts to the water valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you mean. Just so you know I am a woman that's pretty good at these things. I checked the wire that connects to the pump with a meter and didn't get a reading.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
how did you check for voltages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the prongs that come from the fridge to the pump. Using a voltage meter. It only moved a very little bit.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Was it still hooked to the valve when you checked it? If so try it with it removed from the valve, it shoud read 130 when it calls for water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it wasn' t hooked to the valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point I think I am done for today. I might end up calling someone in to look at it. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome,. Have a great day.