Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We just had a 40k rebuild on our house due to a busted water

We just had a 40k rebuild on our house due to a busted water line in our kitchen. Our Kitchenaid dishwasher had to be removed for the rebuild and upon it's reinstallation, the door has taken on a very loud screeching noise when pulled down and again when pulled up to close. My wife has insisted I fix the screech, but I have no idea what the problem is. Can you give me an idea as to what "might" be the problem as the dishwasher itself continues to work like the champ it's always been. FYI, it had nothing to do with the leak we experienced.

Van Henshaw [email protected]
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

THis is a very very common problem on Kitchen Aid dishwashers. What happens is that the nylon cables that provide resistance for the door so that it doesn't fall to the ground will get dust on them when you un-install the dishwasher. This causes a metal like screaching noise. Either way, all you need to do is uninstall the dishwasher and replace the nylon cable link kit on the left and right side of the dishwasher to fix the issue. Below is a link to the part you need to order. It's been re-designed so this does not happen in the future as well.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've ordered the parts recommended to rectify my problem and am grateful to you for hopefully recognizing my situation. I will be more than happy to give you an excellent rating once I receive, install the parts and the screeching/squeeling noise becomes a thing of the past. I'm leaving the country tomorrow, not to return until 11/20, therefore my parts should be here in my mail to be picked up at that time and hopefully will be able to make the repairs before the 23rd (Thanksgiving).

Van Henshaw

OK well good luck.

I just wanted to worn you that because this question is taking so long to close out, you may get some automated E-mails as well as responses that look like they are coming from me. It's built into the site to remind you that you have an open question have haven't closed out yet.

I see this question is still open and you haven't rated me, is there anything else I can help you with today?