Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Samsung refrigerator is icing up and blocking the blower

My Samsung refrigerator is icing up and blocking the blower fan in the back. I was able to thaw it all out about 6 weeks ago, but the problem has returned. Is there a permanent fix out there? Where is the moisture coming from to create all that ice inside?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Where is the ice building up exactly? Behind the fresh food compartment back panel or behind the freezer compartment back panel?

And do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the RS276 model. The ice is right near where the blower fan is locate in the refrigerator compartment (behind back panel). It continues to build up until it actually inhibits the fan, thus prohibiting the cool air to flow to the fridge. It was getting up to 50 degrees, despite what was shown on the display.

OK so this means that your thermistor which senses the temperature has either failed or one of your doors isn't sealing up properly allowing too much frost to build up. The way that the refrigerator side defrosts is by the compressor shutting down. Since the refrigerator is above freezing, any frost that has formed should melt away on it's own if it's not extensive when the compressor is off. If it's not melting, then that means that too much frost is building up from an air leak, or that the compressor isn't shutting off because the thermistor is telling it to keep running. If you look near that back panel, you'll see a small plastic cover on the left or right side wall that is about 2" x 1". Behind this cover is the thermistor and this is the part you'll need to order and replace to fix the issue if you find that the doors are sealing up properly.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Doors look like they have a good seal, so I'm looking at a new thermistor. Where do I get a hold of one of these?

You'll need the full and complete model number, but then you can order one from or
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if it's an air leak? I just took off the panel, and it's really frosty back there.

if it's an air leak then reform the door seals by using a hair dryer and warming them up. Then shut the door and don't open them for 24 hours to allow the seals to set better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I cannot find the thermistor? Where is it located?

The diagram doesn't show it, but it should be somewhere along the side wall or behind that back panel by the silver evaporator coils. It will be a really small part with 2 wires going to it. Sort of shaped like a bullet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any way you could find out the part # for that thermistor for me?

If you give me a full model number I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK so you need part number DA32-00029Q.