Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
70080267

My Maytag dryer motor will not start moving the drum. With

My Maytag dryer motor will not start moving the drum. With manual help to get the drum moving the motor will continue after the centrifugal switch kicks in (the motor is new).

Appliance Parts :

Hi my name isXXXXX have been an appliance service since 1992.
Sounds like you are not getting the time contact voltage. Do you have a model number off the dryer itself.
Should be located inside the door or on top console. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

MDE9306AYW

Appliance Parts :

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX pull the manual up.

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

ok

Appliance Parts :

When you say you can manual help the motor.... What happens when you push the start switch does it hum at least?

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Yes, we can hear the hum. Pressing the switch on the door and pushing the start button makes the hum. Holding both on and manually turning the drum a couple of times will start it rotating.

Appliance Parts :

Do you have access to the dryer now? I would need you to remove the rear control panel and we are going to try something.

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Sorry, Marvin is golfing and he doesn't like me to touch electric things at all. Can I tell him when he returns and can we get back to you then? It should be around 2:00 pm Mountain Standard time. We are in Arizona.

Appliance Parts :

Have him unplug the dryer, remove the top console by removing the top three screws and on the start switch remove the 3 three wires. Note where they went so they wont be wired back up wrong first.
Close the dryer door. Push all three or two wires together plug in. If starts up right away, it is the switch.
But tell him, to just do it temporary. For just testing purposed no more than 5 seconds.
If it does not start up without manually moving the drum or motor, we will try something else.

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Ok. We'll get back to you later on. Thanks

Appliance Parts :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Ok we removed the back and did your suggested wire test. It didn't start. Still hums though. Additional info: Motor will run with no load (no belt on drum); however, I can hold the shaft with my fingers and it won't start rotating.

Appliance Parts :

What did the original motor do? Did it do the same thing?

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Yes

Appliance Parts :

Pulling the schematic up again, do you have a volt/ohm meter?

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

No but I can borrow one

Appliance Parts :

Would need it to narrow it down, and not just guess. Can you get one, and get back with me?

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

OK

Appliance Parts :

I will be available Friday all day 8-5pm eastern time. If i haven't heard back , will type of some test points to show you

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Sorry, due to circumstances beyond my control (contractors are here to do some renovations and power won't be available until monday morning) can I get back to you then.

Appliance Parts :

No problem, will be here.

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

thanks.

Appliance Parts :

It almost leaves me to be that the power supply to the dryer has a neutral power issue.
When you get the volt meter i need you to check the outlet with the power cord plugged halfway in.
And check all the connections here on my website for voltage readings on 4 prong outlets and 3 prong outlets.
Three and four prong test outlets: http://www.needapplianceparts.com/3prongto4pronghookup.aspx

bottom of the page, please check either application you have in your home. If they do not match up, you have an issue with your incoming supply power to the dryer outlet.

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

Ok, will check and get back to you once I've done that.

Appliance Parts :

No problem just let me know the outcome

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

ok I've got my meter and checked out the power source and found everything to be as it should be

Appliance Parts :

Lets make sure your ohms are correct on the motor itself then.
Check
start windings: 3 & 4 on motor should be : 3.00 ohms
run windings : 5 & 4 on motor should be : 2.25 ohms

Just want to make sure you do not have yet another bad motor

Appliance Parts :

I just uploaded the complete service manual on this machine.
On page 19, is the motor test page.
http://www.4shared.com/office/mipgJb8V/16023086.html

You can go there, sign up for free, and download the manual for free.
Let me know

Appliance Parts :

If the motor checks ok, last result would be to change the timer.
Part# XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

motor windings on the old motor were checked and found to be good so i think we can eliminate the motor as the culpret.

Appliance Parts :

I would change the timer, you are loosing one side of the voltage

JACUSTOMER-ysbhulbu- :

I'll get back to you on that

Appliance Parts :

no problem

Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

power still not available however i haven;t purchased a new timer motor because I am not sure if the cost of a new timer motor is worth it especially if it doesn;t solve the problem. talk to you later on monday

Will fix the issue, only thing left in circuit if power is correct to dryer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I purchased a new timer and installed it. The dryer still does not work ( I'm not happy). What next?

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

.

.

The professional that you were working with opted out on you, you will need to ask for a refund and repost your question

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry once is enough

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why won't my Maytag dryer drum start rotating? So far this is what I've done:

1. Replaced the drive motor and installed a new belt

2. Replaced the timer motor assembly

3. Tested input voltages (okay)

4. Checked thermal fuses (okay)

5. Drum will rotate with manual help to get started

6. Motor will rotate with no load (drum removed); however, I can prevent motor from starting just by holding the shaft with my fingers (very little torque). This is with both original and new drive motors and timer motors.

What else can I do?

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Rachel

Do you still want help with your problem?