Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Need to replace broken oven temperature controler on front

Need to replace broken oven temperature controler on front of GE Gas range XL44 (JGBS23CEA3CC). It is a sealed burner unit. Each burner has 3 screws, which I have removed. Cook top cover does do pop open and afraid to force it as I have heard that you can damage unit. How do I open unit to get to oven thermostat assembly?

Jim landlord

After you remove all the grates burner bodies ,and cap and burner screws you have tow clips under the cook top approx 2 inches in .

I use a putty knife to push the clips in to raise the top.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This model has 3 screws on each burner; do they need to be removed?

I have tried to pry up eith putty knife not popping up. is there something I need to do to two pins holding it down?

yes all the burner screws need to be removed .

YOu are not prying the top up with the putty knife you are pushing in on the clips to unlock the top so you can then raise it up .