Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have an amana ngd7200tw dryer. i think the motor burned

Customer Question

i have an amana ngd7200tw dryer. i think the motor burned up. when the dryer starts you can hear a hum, the drum does not turn, and it quits in a few seconds. Also, it smells like something is burning.

Also, i can not figure out how to remove the cover. the instrument panel is on the front of the dryer as opposed to back and above.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today,

Can you try this? first spin the drum by hand. does it turn easy ?if so open the door and hold the door switch button in. and spin the drum while someone presses the start button, does it start ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the drum spins as easily as it normally does.

as to the second part, the motor started but quickly turned off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , that means your motor is bad. you are correct.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this is a pretty big job to replace. not impossible if your handy and have tools though. however the motor is around $163.00 , do you wish to spend that on this dryer? A new whirlpool (they are the best) is only around $300.00. let me know if you wish to replace this motor. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found a couple of motors online for about $80.

Im fairly handy, so I would like to give it a go.

However, I can't get the cover off.

I removed all of the screws, but don't want to pull at things to remove them unless it is the right thing to do

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay .you need to remove the top first then the control panel. heres that diagram.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
then you will see the screws to remove the front panel. # XX.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
the screws are # X on the diagram. once those are out remove the wires on the door switch. and tip the front panel out at the top and lift it off the button clips. thats how you get to the drum and remove it. you have to go in through the front. if you removed any screws in the back put them back in before starting . heres a link to all the diagrams. you should be able to do it with these. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Amana-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-NGD7200TW10/1268/0151200?searchedModel=ngd7200tw&blt=15 I hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan